The Good 'n' (not so) Bad of TalkTalk

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Had a couple of (pseudo) dealings with TalkTalk (UK) this week.

The Good.
Phoned them up couple of days ago to complain, on the off chance, about my 4yr old modem. After I'd explained that we had a modem problem, no not connection, the on/off switch on the modem makes up its own mind if its going to let the current through. I got put through to a very friendly fella in Waterford (Eire). Told me that even as we speak a replacement would be winging its way to us and should be here within 5-7 working days, possibly two.
B*gg*r me, next mid morning there was the postie with a wee parcel in his hands. Well done TalkTalk! Your service, as a provider may not always, reportedly, be the tops, but We've never had a problem that is your fault. Gods (weather), yes. Yours, no.

The Bad.
And this isn't TalkTalk.
Two calls this week, both answered by SWMBO, purporting to be from TalkTalk, saying we have/are causing connection problems. Because we have had been, she thought, to start, it was genuine. Can we confirm account name/password.
SWMBO passes phone to me as I'm a far better wind up merchant and they immediately call me Mr. Atkinson (not me). I then explain they need to update their records as Mr. Atkinson died in 1995 (he didn't, that's when he left here), they seem to hang up pretty quick.
Just a heads up on this last bit. Seems a new tack is being tried to get into your PC by our "Johnny Foreigner" brothers. Usual route is getting you to download and run TeamViewer after handing over your password*.

*Last time they tried that one, I asked if it was OK to use my own random password. After they OKayed it I started to give them a randomly generated 1024 character password. Not sure if the fella hung up or fell asleep!!

("This is a very long password Mr. Atkinson?"
"Yes it is Mr. Foreigner, only another 937 characters to go!!
Damn!
Now I've lost my place.
Let's start again. zgiw37gklt420fjt47...........")

Last edited:

Ask a Question