SOLVED Wireless 'N' Router ?

Reaction score
I have an option to upgrade my broadband package to 24meg, I have a choice of a wireless 'G' router and 40GB download allowance or paying a little more and going for a wireless 'N' router with unlimited download.
My current package is a 40GB allowanve and I have never experianced using more than this but :-
My question if I purchase and install my own 'N' router with the cheaper option will the 'N' router work, I realise I wonn't get more GB allowance but I believe the 'N' router preforms better?
Anyone have any ideas on 'G' versus 'N' ??? :confused:

Reaction score
Hi.

Neither router type will allow you to download faster or cause you to download slower, from the internet. There simply will be no difference at all.

If you have n adapters on your computers, then having an n router will allow for faster speeds between the computers, only. This is great for when transferring large files in the GBs.

If you don't have n adapters on the computers or if you don't ever transfer files, the g router will suit you perfectly well.

As far as how much you actually download and use your internet connection, that's up to you to decide and if you need the upgraded "unlimited' service or not.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Wireless N routers have a multiple input multiple output (MIMO) technology, 802.11n can perform up to five times faster and up to twice the range of 802.11g. There is of course the small print stating that actual performance may vary based on range, site conditions, and other factors.

It also has a wider bandwidth too. The increased bandwidth and greater range are the two biggest pluses for usinga wireless N router, along with the MIMO technology.

As TorrentG stated, it won't increase your download speed from the actual modem itself but communication between the networked computers in your home will be very fast.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would say there are a couple of valid reasons to move on to "N's"
The "N "has another benefit in addition to speed. It has a greater range. "G" standards can usually work up to about 100 feet. "N's" can work at over 200ft and possible up to 300ft.
Ther has been a long history of compatibility problems with the older standard.The N standard has increased the speed of wireless networking and, almost completely, eliminated compatibility problems.
But it will serve no useful purpose if you have a slower "G" adapter in your computer. This is most likely the case with most current computers..
Look at it , also, from this point of view. Cable Internet, if you have that,will give you download speeds of 3-5 Mbit/sec. DSL speeds about 2 +/-. Fiber optic connectionwill give you 10 to 20 Mbit/sec speeds. A "G" standrad piece of gear operates at 54 Mbits/sec, which can take care of most present day systems..
"
So, basically, as Torrentg points out, upgrading your wireless router and adapter to "N isn't going to improve your Internet connection speeds, but it will probably enable you to transfer files faster between computers on your LAn, if you feel that is a plus.
The best, and possibly only reason with existing technology is, I would say, is the greater range, if that is a consideration in your environment.

Reaction score
Is there any security gains from useing a N over a G type router?

Reaction score
No. If anything, n would have a security loss since it covers a wider area with the radio signal. This assumes 100% broadcast power is applied in both instances. Of course, power can be lowered to suit needs in the settings.

Can't hack what you can't pick up a signal to.

Other than that, the same.

Reaction score
Yeah, that was what I thought although I was wondering if the more modern N types had some new hardware features to make them more secure. Or is it purely a software thing?

Reaction score
Yep, it's all standards based. Best security available is WPA2 w/ AES encryption. Both n and g routers can do that. Possibly some really old g ones can't.

For extreme wireless security like a corporation would have with sensitive data, RADIUS servers are used for authentication. Even this can be used with g or n.

Ask a Question