Taskbar icon popups

Reaction score
Hello:

I wonder where you turn off those pesky little windows that pop up when you hover over taskbar icons.

I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker, and checked "Disable window previews (thumbnails)", and it seemed to work, but now, the peskies are back.

Grateful for help.

Regards,

Hans L

Reaction score
Reaction score
------------------
Browse to the following location in RegEdit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Then create a new DWORD called "DisablePreviewWindow" with a value of 1. You'll probably need to restart to get it working.
---------------------------------

The above did not work for me on my main monitor. Any suggestion why?

Hans L

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Type Gpedit.msc in the Start box, and Enter.
Open User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor.
Double click on Turn off taskbar thumbnails in right pane of Local Group Policy editor. (Normally the last item), then:
  1. Select Enabled button. (Top left)
  2. Click OK (bottom right) to activate the change.
  3. Logoff and logon again or restart computer.

Reaction score
Dave, it looks like the right thing, but it did not work for me.

Let me mention that I have UltraMon (3 monitors), and this happens only on the main monitor. I wonder if UltraMon does something to prevent this change.

Thank you,

Hans L

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Hans, I think it could be something related to Ultramon as the methods above should do the trick. It creates a new "Smart Taskbar" for each monitor IIRC, so the reg key/GP changes may not work on the 2nd/3rd monitors.

Reaction score
I have asked on UltraMon forum, and will go there now (no automatic replies from that forum, but UltraMon is a great app).

Thanks,

Hans L

Last edited:
Reaction score
Type Gpedit.msc in the Start box, and Enter.
Open User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar in left pane of Local Group Policy Editor.
Double click on Turn off taskbar thumbnails in right pane of Local Group Policy editor. (Normally the last item), then:
  1. Select Enabled button. (Top left)
  2. Click OK (bottom right) to activate the change.
  3. Logoff and logon again or restart computer.
Dave, I wanted to ask, because I have wondered for a long time, where one can find commands like Gpedit.msc that can be used in Run.

Also, I tried to use the window that came up when I run Gpedit/msc in Administrative Tools, but could not find it. Is it there?

Regards,

Hans L

Reaction score
Hi Hans L

Do you have Windows 7 Home Premium?
If so I share your pain on this one. :(

Gpedit is only available for Windows 7 Professional and up.

Reaction score
Nope, Clifford, I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I bought XP Home, and regretted it all along, so this time, spend and be happy :)

Gpedit worked, but I wonder where people find all the commands that can be used in Run.

Regards,

Hans L

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Hans.
The commands are mostly, in my case, gleaned from accumulated use. I have been Beta testing since the first Vista and the info trickles through. I have to confess that I do not always rely on memory, but record everything on a huge list of tips etc on my computer.
But I hunted around and found this, which might interest you:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-403-command-prompts-for-windows

Added Later:

Again, Hans. It occured to me that the simplest way to examine thes .msc commands is to open Windows - System 32. Sort them in "Type".
You will find 20 to 24 commands there. It is safe to open them, so you can examine the possibilities. You will recognise most as options you are accessing elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I have copied the names and saved them in a file for later consumption.

Regards,

Hans L

Reaction score
Hi Hans, I think it could be something related to Ultramon as the methods above should do the trick. It creates a new "Smart Taskbar" for each monitor IIRC, so the reg key/GP changes may not work on the 2nd/3rd monitors.
I have now uninstalled UltraMon and restarted the computer, but the taskbar thumbnails still show up. The developer of UltraMon said that he also could not get rid of the thumbnails.

I just notice that in the window "Turn of taskbar thumbnails" it says "Supported on: Windows Vista only". Well, that should be it then, esp. since there are other settings, e.g., "Remove pinned programs from the Taskbar", where it says "Supported on: at least Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2".

We need to bug MS to make it possible to remove thumbnails in Windows 7 too.

Regards,

Hans L

Ask a Question