SOLVED Program Icon Replaced by Default Icon in Taskbar

Reaction score
Installed Chrome. I also added Chrome to the desktop dropdown when you right click the desktop.Pic (A). This is how I've been launching frequently used programs for years. The registry path for this is C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe.

With the Chrome shortcut on the desktop (B), when I launch Chrome the Chrome icon displays properly in the taskbar. With the shortcut removed from the desktop (C) the Default icon appears on the taskbar .

This makes no sense since the program was launched from the Application folder. The path of the shortcut is to the same location, but shortcut shouldn't dictate the icon on the taskbar.

I've rebuilt the IconCache, but to no avail. All I want to do is get rid of the shortcut on the desktop and have the Chrome icon appear on the taskbar when it's launched. Ideas on what the problem is?

Reaction score
I completely uninstalled Chrome including registry entries and reinstalled it. The program icon will appear on the taskbar without the desktop.

Ask a Question