Taskbar and desktop freeze

Reaction score
hi, after I start windows, taskbar and desktop lock up in about 3-5 minutes. I cannot do anything, except ctrl.+alt+del and log off and log in, then it works again for 2-3 minutes and locks up. also, if I have a browser open, then thre is no problem working in it. neither cause some other programes, like games some problem, they work fine too. but windows taskbar and explorer seem to freeze. problem ocuured after I installed steam. I already uninstalled it and did system restore, but it doesn't help. please, help

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you keep task manager open so that when the system freezes you are able to see which application is causing the problem? Do you have anything installed which would interact with explorer.exe, such as theme managers?

Reaction score
I cannot say which application causes the problem, because when the freeze happens, I cannt navigate in the task manager, it freezes too. the only app I have open is firefox. and it's working fine.

Reaction score
Can you keep task manager open so that when the system freezes you are able to see which application is causing the problem?
Ian was suggesting you should have task manager up and running before the freeze so you might could see something wrong when it freezes.

Reaction score
ok, I did it and the freeze appears when a process called "unsecapp.exe" starts.

Reaction score
This particular task, UNSECAPP.EXE, is started by Windows Vista when a program needs to use WMI programming - it provides programs with a conduit (sink) to receive from Windows the results of their WMI queries and commands.
Read more here - http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=Unsecapp

I'm afraid there is another program causing the trouble that is calling this service. You are going to have to dig deeper to find which program is calling this service.

Process Explorer 11.33 may help you track down the problem.

Reaction score
thanks a lot, your forum is very helpful and you respond very quick. so thanks again. I found that process and deleted it, was some weird program, my girlfriend installed, I guess, or somehow slipped my attention. anyway, no freezes yet. thanks again

Ask a Question