Take ownership/permissions problems

Reaction score
I can't count the number of times I have had to re-take ownership of folders on my system. It just won't stick. These are folders that meant to be written to- like AppData/Local/Temp and My Documents, My Music, Desktop etc. It's causing havoc.

I really like Windows 7 and I enjoy problem solving and beta testing, but this is a serious bug. I'm using the MS official beta 7000. I started with a clean install but recently did an upgrade-style reinstall to try to solve this. The problem recurred

My user account is a member of Administrator group. I have added take ownership to the R click context menu because I have to reclaim ownership of some folder several times daily. Take ownership works but something somewhere is countermanding it. Any suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have any 3rd party apps running on each startup (perhaps an anti-virus and anti-spyware suite?). The MSCONFIG startup tab is a good way to see what loads on each boot. :) If your Temp and Doc folder permissions are being changed then something isn't right.

You might be able to use FileMon by Microsoft to catch the application doing this, but it would take lots of filtering to find it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

Reaction score
Does it happen to every folder on your computer? I would re-create the main user account and see if that resets the permissions once and for all!

Reaction score
Do you have any 3rd party apps running on each startup (perhaps an anti-virus and anti-spyware suite?). The MSCONFIG startup tab is a good way to see what loads on each boot. :) If your Temp and Doc folder permissions are being changed then something isn't right.

The only things I have running at startup are Avast AV (free version), Nvidia driver and Synaptics driver. I am using same version Avast on my netbook with no permissions issues. I think I am going to create a new user.

Reaction score
Does it happen to every folder on your computer? I would re-create the main user account and see if that resets the permissions once and for all!
It doesn't seem to be all folders, but it is usually several folders at a time. External drives are not involved. I will recreate the user account. Thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Permission/Take Ownership problem

I created a new user account and moved my data files to the new account. So far so good. No permissions errors, But its too soon to be sure the problem is resolved. I need to install something to see if that trips the permissions restriction. One thing is clear- the system is more responsive within the new account.

It was worth doing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad that helped melzbelz :) Hopefully it will continue to work, but if not do let us know and we can try something else.

Reaction score
Glad that helped melzbelz :) Hopefully it will continue to work, but if not do let us know and we can try something else.
Well it's been several days since I created a new user and I have had no further problems with file permissions. I guess the user account was corrupt.

Thanks for the suggestion

Ask a Question