SOLVED Take ownership or allow permissions??

Reaction score
Hi,
Just got back from holiday and my mind is a blank.
All of a sudden when I am in certain folders (like Libraries>my documents) I cannot rename the documents within.

I am able to rename other documents in other files such as (C>Program Data>Macrium)
Odd or what.
Thanks Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Probably easiest to just run the take ownership script on that folder and see if that fixes your issues.

If not, make sure you run a virus scan in safe mode. Some viruses like to hide your personal files.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I tried the Take Ownership and admit I do not understand this ownership business. I am the only one using this computer so I should own everything. I clicked Take Ownership and a command prompts flew by but nothing happened.

This problem only happens on a program I am using called
2xExplorer R7xx "Cartmann" . I love this program and have used it for years and this just started happening. If I go to Computer>Libraries>My Documents the renaming works.
I guess I will just live with it as it is a too steep learning curve for me and I am afraid of changing too much as it all works pretty well now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So this is only when you run 2xExplorer? It's possible 2xExplorer needs Administrative privileges. Go to the folder where 2xPlorer is installed and right-click on the program executable, select the compatibility tab, and check the box "run this program as an administrator". See if it works then.

Reaction score
I did as you propose, no luck.
I made an image of the permissions to send you but have forgotten how to do an attachment:eek:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you aren't in advanced mode click the "go advanced" button, then click the paperclip to attach.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is just your permissions to the 2xExplorer shortcut. What should matter is your permissions settings at the data location. Can you show me the permissions of a file you cannot rename?

Reaction score
The two Folders where I cannot change the names of its contents are Documents and My Documents from the Libraries.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Documents is just a Library Type, so the only things under that should be folders and they are really just pointers. One of the folders under Documents should be "My Documents" and you should be able to change the files and folders under My documents but not rename the My Documents folder itself.

If you cannot rename files and folders under My Documents then I need to see the permission settings for the My Documents folder.

Reaction score
I think you are trying to tell me that I cannot change the name of a document that is filed under My Documents in 2X Explores Library. I can change the name if I just go into Computer (next message).

It appears to me this is a glitch of 2X Explorer. I don't know why I never noticed it before as I have used the little program for years.
I can live with it.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
As you can see I have full permissions on My Documents when I go thru Computer>>>. Just not full permissions if I use Library in My Computer.
Hope that makes sense.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well 2xExplorer has been replaced by xplorer² and it may work better. I believe 2xExplorer was created before Vista/W7 so maybe the library pointers may be throwing it for a loop. If you went to the actual folder C:\Users\Patti\My Documents in 2xExplorer then it would likely work.

Reaction score
Yes, I think you are right. I did try the explorer2 but it didn't do some of
the things 2X did so I stuck with it.
You are right about going to C.
Thanks anyway. Have a good summer.
Patti

Ask a Question