SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD

Reaction score
Hi There,

I actually get almost the same BSOD message as Litha in this THREAD. It started yesterday and I get it almost every time I boot up.

Though I have connected a new monitor yesterday, I don't think this is the cause of my problem. I do mention it though, since it is quite the coincidence. I bought a new screen, because the old one went out causing a powershortage (so I'm guessing a faulty poweradapter). For approximately 30 minutes I had both my new and old (a substitute) screen connected, then I disconnected the old one. When booting up after disconnecting it, I got the first of a series of BSOD's. However, I do not think here lies the actual problem.

Instead I have a strong feeling it is related to the Steam client, since I got some strange behavior (I had to log in, where usually I don't need to since the login credentials are remembered. After doing so, Steam started running in the background like it usually does and right after I got the second BSOD. I tried booting again, though this time it came straight after loading all programs (Steam is last usually). Since booting normally didn't work anymore, I booted in safe mode and disabled the steam client service as well as the steam startup file.

After doing so, I have no longer had anymore BSOD's, My guess is that Steam installed an update which caused the problem. Rolling back a system restore point seems like no alternative to me, since steam will probably update again. I'd like to be able to reenable Steam again though and for all I know, it might not even be related as I'm not experienced reading the Minidumps.

I have attached my minidumps (I have had BSOD's before, however, I have never been able to track their origin, but since they have been coming and going and have been gone for quite some time, I have never really taken any effort to find out why).

I'd really appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Nelis,

Remove Daemon tools and SPTD.sys

1. Download proper SPTD installer from DuplexSecure - Downloads.
2. Run it.
3. Click Uninstall.
4. Reboot your PC after uninstalling.

If this is your motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q_PRO_Turbo/#download
download and install the latest Audio driver, although I see that it is 2009!? See how you go with that.

Also download and install the latest video drivers. http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi Shintaro,

thanks so much for the very quick reply!

That's the one indeed, I have the latest official audio driver already installed (though not the beta, do you suggest me to try that one)? And it's old, I know! ;)

Daemon tools is gone from the system. Windows notified me that it did not install correctly (?) after deinstalling it and suggested me to reinstall (didn't do that).

Before I remove SPTD.sys, a quick question: SPTD.sys does not sound very familiar to me and I see it has to do with SCSI Pass through. Do you need me to remove just this file and will removing this file not interfere with my 3Ware RAID controller (I'm not very familiar with the subject, so forgive me if I'm comparing completely the wrong things, just trying to keep my data safe :) )?

I already (re-)installed the latest NVidia driver yesterday after the first problems occurred (after disabling Steam). It didn't solve it though (I did a clean install).

Cheers

Shintaro

Reaction score
SPTD.sys is part of Daemon tools and known to cause crashes.
http://sysnative.com/drivers/search.php?id=SPTD.sys

It is always good to ask questions.

If you are not sure, find SPTD.sys, (Should be in c:\windows\system32\drivers) right click on the file and select "Properties". Then select the the Details tab.

Shintaro

Reaction score
After that, please see if it crashes.
I'll try and help you as much as I can, but games are always problems.

Reaction score
Dear Shintaro,

so far so good,

I have removed SPTD.sys (details indeed indicated it opened with an unknown program (I already deinstalled Daemon tools, so that's probably why it was now unregistered)).

I ran (afterwards) SPTD installer and chose to uninstall.

Then I rebooted, realised I forgot to reactive Steam, so once booted up, reactivated Steam still and rebooted a second time, thinking it would probably again crash withing 30 seconds, though I'm happy to say that the opposite remains true so far!

I logged in Steam, tried a game, exited (it did behave slightly weird - as in not loading the online store at first, only after a refresh and also refusing to resume a download - , however, those might have been unrelated network issues perhaps), reopened, everything works like a charm. To push my luck I even rebooted again and again, no problem.

It seems that removing daemon tools already did the trick? I'll definitely check back in if it crashes again, but so far, it seems I'm in your debt already! Thanks a lot for your help!

Do you also perhaps know of a good alternative to daemon tools (preferably freeware :) )? I do at times appreciate the possibility to load disk images as a virtual drive. If not, no worries, I'll find something.

I'll check about the Via drivers too, though I think I'll wait with updating those until I get my next BSOD.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I moved this to its' own thread.

I commonly use daemon tools without any issues; just seems to be a problem on some systems. Just remove it and see if your troubles go away. If not leave it out and keep trying things. Finally, once the current problem is resolved you can then consider reinstalling it and seeing if your troubles return.

Another thing I can't stress enough is when problems seem to appear on a machine that had been working fine, be sure to do a full scan for a malware (viruses). Depending what you are using Daemon tools for, you might have loaded something you didn't want.

And consider trying a restore point to go back prior to the issue.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
TrainableMan,

I know I have been using Daemon Tools for a very long time with no trouble. But, boy does it crash some peoples system.

It has such a bad reputation.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, I've been aware of the issue for some time. If you look at our Freeware DB at all the items under Disk Virtualization you will see notes about sptd.sys.

Like I said, when BSOD issues occur the user should remove it so it can be eliminated as the cause and then just leave it out until the trouble does get resolved. Once the system is stable again they can consider trying it again and seeing if the problem returns. A lot of times these things are trial and error so you update all your drivers and eliminate known issues and see where you stand.

BTW: Nelis, if you are overclocking your CPU or GPU, you should also return those to settings within specs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Nah, he's not overclocking the CPU. I can tell that by the mini dump.
CPUID: "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz"
MaxSpeed: 1860
CurrentSpeed: 1870

Reaction score
goodmorning guys (well, morning here anyway),

Thanks for thinking along, as Shintaro already noticed correctly I'm not overclocking any components, I know from extensive experience that that is hardly ever a wise thing to do.

I have also been running Daemon tools for approximately 10 years now, so far always without problems. However, I cannot deny the fact that before I removed Daemon tools I got a BSOD without exception and right now I don't. If the pc won't crash again next week, I'll reinstall it and see about the effect it has.

What did strike me as peculiar though is that when I looked with bluescreenview at the minidumps - even though overall they don't tell me all that much - is that there were already a lot of 3B Bugchecks in the past already. Might they be related to the BSOD's I was experiencing recently?

and thanks for moving the thread!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yea, it is so strange that SPTD does that.

There must be something that you installed that Daemon Tools didn't like.

It doesn't matter, if removing it fixed your problem, so be it. Just use another tool to mount the ISO's.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
amaltom, MagicDisk from Magic ISO Maker ALSO uses sptd.sys, so if that was the issue for this user, then MagicDisk will likely cause issues as well. All of these choices, except ISODisk, as well as sptd warnings can be found in our Freeware DB, which I mentioned a few posts ago. Have you ever tried ISODisk? Do you know if it uses sptd.sys?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guess what ISO disk doesn't even support windows 7 !!!! sorry dude

I use another software called Win ISO.I got it for free from GOTD.It can mount ISOs
I deleted my stpd.sys and ran Win ISO.It mounted a ISO without any problems

http://www.winiso.com/
Also you can also use it without registration.Just ignore the "enter serial" dialog box

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to give you an update. I've been running the system just fine the past couple of days and so today I figured I'd give it a try and reinstall Daemon Tools.

I've downloaded the most recent version and installed without the SPTD driver (which is actually the default installation mode) (and without all the garbage that comes along with it). That means no advanced emulation options, but I don't think I'll be needing those in the first place.

I've rebooted twice since without any problems, so I don't think I'll be having any more BSOD's (well, for now at least). As far as I'm concerned, case closed.

Thank you all for your help!

Ask a Question