System Service Exception BSOD. 0x3B

tek

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

i have been having this issue since Vista. I will randomly get the BSOD 0x3B. I notice it happens a lot when i play call of duty 4 and the new call of duty modern warfare 2. I immediately thought it was my ram. I took out all of the sticks and ran the vista memory test (i know, probably not the best choice) on each individual stick and then all of them together. No issues found.

After testing the ram i thought it may be my GPU because of the fact that it happens a lot in call of duty. I figured maybe the way the game renders on the GPU, its probably using a bad portion of the GPU RAM. I planned on upgrading in the future so i went ahead and ordered a Radeon 5870. it will be here friday. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Here are my current system specs. Maybe you will find something wrong with it. I have updated the BIOS, Video Drivers and motherboard drivers.

Intel e8400 @ 3.6ghz. Cooled with a Cooler Master V8. Max temps after playing for awhile about 43C.

6 GB of DDR2 800 RAM. 2x2gb and 2x1gb. its OCZ Ram at 2.1v

32gb SSD
500gb HDD

Asus P5N-D 750i motherboard

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card

850w Corsair PSU

I do have adequite case cooling as well. Two intake fans and Four exhaust. I have the Corsair Obsidian 800D. I was also experiencing this BSOD with my old mid size case. Same amount of cooling as well.

Thanks for looking everyone.

UPDATE: Ran Orthos. No issues.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi tek, welcome to the site :)

Have you upgraded your graphics drivers to the latest version?

If you want we can analyse the crash. Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip the contents, then attach to a post.

tek

Reaction score
yes i downloaded the new drivers from nvidia's website. I also just ran Furmark and ran it at max settings for 20 mins. No issues with the video card. it didnt even go past 78C.

As for the minidump files, it wont let me zip them. Dont have permissions even though i am a admin. If i get an answer, ill put them up when i get home from work. im about to leave.

One last thing, and i think we may have found the problem...My buddy said that my RAM configuration sucked. 2x2gb sticks and 2x1gb sticks. All of the same specs just different size sticks. He also recommended that i get the manufacturer's memory timings and put them in manually in the BIOS. I did that but my PC wont start. I upped the voltage and still wouldnt start. I then removed the 2x1gb sticks, manually put in the timings again and it did the same thing. So far no blue screen yet but my memory should not be doing this. I guess thats what i get with OCZ lol.

Reaction score
Copy the .dmp files to another folder, first. OCZ typically requires much higher Vdimm. You can use the spd tab of CPU-Z to see which modules you have. Then visit OCZ's site for the correct Vdimm setting.

tek

Reaction score
i did put the dmp files in a folder first. It asked if i wanted to allow. I then created a new zip and tried to put the folder in there. It said i didnt have permission.

As for the Vdimm, i set it to 2.2v and even 2.3v. Still wouldnt boot with the manufacturer's memory timings. Im at work at the moment and cant remember the exact timings CPUZ was showing, but i believe it was something 6-7-7-18 2T when set to AUTO in the bios. OCZ says it should be 4-4-4-15 1T.

maybe this will help, my overclock settings are 1600FSB, Memory is linked, and CPU multiplier at 9.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have memory corruption. Here's the best attempt to rid of it.

The ASACPI.sys file you have is from 2005 and a known problem causer. To update that, visit your mothboard website and install the latest ATK0110 utility, or sometimes it's called Probell utility, or similar.

I'd like to see this driver be updated to latest as well:

Code:
ctac32k  ctac32k.sys  Wed Jul 02 04:38:22 2008
This will do some good to install. It's the latest 15.51 nForce drivers for the motherboard/chipset:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/nForce-15.51-WHQL-Windows-7-and-Vista-64-bit-download-2402.html

tek

Reaction score
i just got done installing the 15.51 nforce drivers. I also switched around my ram and was finally able to manually put in the correct timings without error. So far no issues....until about an hour in. Same BSOD again.

i went to asus' site and download ASUS Pc Probell. I dont know how to update the ASACPI.sys through it though.

tek

Reaction score
im also a noob when it comes to updating individual drivers like ctac32k.sys (which i believe is a sound card driver) and the ASACPI.sys file. I really appreciate the support so far.

I am going to redownload the sound card drivers though. hopefully it will update that ctac file.

EDIT: just found new update for my BIOS. lets see how this runs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds good so far for the steps you're taking. You can just install the Probell Utility in the normal method by running it. Let us know how it goes after everything and good luck.

tek

Reaction score
*knock on wood* so far so good. No crashes and BSODs. I just upgraded to my radeon 5870 today and so far no issues with that either. I do have one more question...i removed the smaller sticks of ram (same speed and manufacturer as the two 2gb sticks) and i was wondering if id loose performance if i put them back in.

Thank you very much for your help everyone!

Reaction score
system service exception bsod windows 7

I too have had a few bsod for system service exception and irql_not_less_or_equal.
Would you please also look at my Minidump , DxDiag and Application Error txt attachment.
Thanks
R.M.H.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too have had a few bsod for system service exception and irql_not_less_or_equal.
Would you please also look at my Minidump , DxDiag and Application Error txt attachment.
Thanks
R.M.H.
Hey.

Well first, you're using build 7100 which is going to expire in a few short months. For this reason and also for best results, it's highly recommended to install the RTM 7600 build.

To save this install, we can look at this:

You're getting memory corruption amongst other errors. The first thing to do to completely uninstall AVG because that is causing issues. Do not just disable because that will not help.

Let us know how it goes after AVG is removed from the machine.

Also, visit NVIDIA's website and install the latest video card driver. This is older:
Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Thu Apr 02 16:10:30 2009
Seems you have an NVIDIA chipset. While you're at NVIDIA.com getting the video driver, also get the latest nForce drivers for your motherboard.

Another thing you should do is update the driver for your Belkin game device by visiting their site. This is the driver I'm referring to:

Code:
bcgame   bcgame.sys   Thu Feb 16 12:34:05 2006
Enjoy and good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes i know that the win7 rc1 will expire in June and im plaining on getting the 7600 then.What is the problem with AVG thought it was 64bit win7 compatable ?
My 2 NVIDIA 7950GT's have the latest WHQL-certified driver for GeForce GPU.
I do need to update my nForce Driver to 15.51_nforce_win7_64bit_whql.
My Belkin Nostromo n 52 also has the latest drivers installed.
I ran the Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows7 and it found no errors.
Thanks for the reply and help.

Reaction score
Honestly, AVG causes the most bsod and poor performance, amongst other issues, of all software I've ever seen. So to alleviate your bsod, uninstall it.

Your video card driver is old. The new one is dated November or even possibly December now (I'm on an ATI machine at the moment so I can't easily check which is the latest I have installed on my NVIDIA machine. Too lazy lol.)

So ya...follow as I said and your machine should be well off.

You're welcome.

Reaction score
i was checking at NVidia when i replyed to your first post and 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql is the latest
and the drivers that i have installed right now i did get better gaming
performance in from the Prerelease WDDM 1.0 that installed with the rc1.
But had to upgrade drivers to 195.62 in order to get nHancer to install

Reaction score
HI all

I have similar bsod for system service exception at starting window. it happen at starting window or just window start up for three or four time. once the windows complete start up, the BSOD won't appear again. It happen everytime after the computer shutdown for few hours.
would you please help me to fix this problem.
There is the copy of the dump file

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey I am yet another person who is getting this BSOD. I just got it like 3 minutes ago while closing Photoshop CS4. Though I usually get it while watching video using VLC or my wife gets it watching videos online. I just tried updating VLC and I did watch about an hours worth of stuff with no issue, so I was happy, but bam closed Photoshop there it was again. Anyways here are my specs:

MOBO: eVGA 750i FTW
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz
RAM: 4GB 2x2GB Mushkin Redline
Video: XFX ATI 5770
PS: Coolermaster 550watt
HDDs: 2x500GB Seagate, 250GB Seagate, 320GB Seagate

Anyways I was hoping someone could look at my dmp file and help me pin this problem down as I have not been able to on my own. Though I do believe it has something to do with my video card as it is the newest piece of hardware in the machine. Thank you to anyone that can shed any light on this issue for me!

Attachments

Reaction score
I too, am having the same issues. Uninstalling AVG and going with Security essentials as we speak. Temps are all good, all parts seem to be in good working order, maintained well and dust-free for the most part (Monthly cleaning). I blue-screen on Flash Video mostly, but it also happens when playing games occasionally. It's frustrating, as it happens frequently, so shown by my attached zip. Any advise/ diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Specs below.

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I too, am having the same issues. Uninstalling AVG and going with Security essentials as we speak. Temps are all good, all parts seem to be in good working order, maintained well and dust-free for the most part (Monthly cleaning). I blue-screen on Flash Video mostly, but it also happens when playing games occasionally. It's frustrating, as it happens frequently, so shown by my attached zip. Any advise/ diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Specs below.
Well, as it is on games and flash videos, have you tried updating graphic drivers?
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Ask a Question