System Mechanic Disaster !!!!

Reaction score
I ran the above System Mechanic to clean unwanted accumulations from my Acer Computer - WHICH THEN REFUSED TO RE-BOOT.

Looking more carefully at the probem I have, I now realise the software spec does say for 32 bit systems. MINE IS 64 bit, or was. I wonder how much damage has been done, though I suspect it is massive.

Now the computer is inaccessible, I cannot access the system recovery from the partition to restore the original.

The computer came with Vista Home Premium which has since been upgraded to Windows 7. As with most computers it does NOT come with any system discs.

Not sure where to go or what to do from here???

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hmm. I think most people would be against a catch all System optimizing program. Especially one whose home page banner has an image that makes you think of toothpaste!!

You say upgraded from Vista to Seven? This may then turn out to be a blessing in disguise. "Upgraded systems" can be a problem waiting to happen. A clean install is always the best way to go.

You've got the upgrade disc? See Paul Thurrots site on how to do a clean install when you only have the upgrade version of Windows 7.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Another lesson in why these all-in-one system applications are a waste of money, time and such.

As I am sure you still have your product key, if you don't have the install disk you can download one from the following link. It's the full retail version ISO image direct from Microsoft. Your product key is what signifies whether or not it's a retail, upgrade or OEM version.

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you installed W7 it should have told you to create a W7 recovery DVD. If you did that then you should pop that in and boot to it and see if it can fix the system files.

For cleaning programs I like to manually run CCleaner (freeware) and I also like TuneUp Utilities (paid) which does some automated cleaning. One nuisance with TuneUp Utilities though, it won't let me control this cleaning to pick and choose and if you turn cleaning off then it constantly displays an attention needed icon in the notification area.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That recovery DVD set (usually a set of three to five) should be made, just for this type of situation. I made mine when I obtained my computer and even bought an extra set from HP, "just in case".

When you get your computer back up and all updates & programs installed, you should consider a backup program. Macrium Reflect is free, and can be found in the Free Software Database on this forum. It's easy to run, and it's fast. It can also be found at:

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

Best of Luck,
Cat

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'll go with Cat here, I do a fortnightly back up with Macrium, always keep the last two, plus. After a new install with my personal base softwares and Windows updates, keep that as well.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That recovery DVD set (usually a set of three to five) should be made, just for this type of situation.
Cat, 3 to 5 disks? Did you burn CDs rather than DVDs? I've made 4 or 5 of them for various machines and they always fit on one DVD so either you used CDs or we are talking about a different Restore.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat, 3 to 5 disks? Did you burn CDs rather than DVDs? I've made 4 or 5 of them for various machines and they always fit on one DVD so either you used CDs or we are talking about a different Restore.
When I bought my computer about 14 months ago, it didn't come with reinstall discs, only a recovery partition. But the OEM (HP) provided a way (through Power2Go) to create a set of discs to make my computer like new, should I need it, and I have used them twice.

Yes, it took three DVD's (the non-RW kind) to complete the job. But some takes up to five to complete the job. It takes about 90 minutes to complete the job, and you do have to babysit it, so if you ever have to do this, make sure that you have plenty of time.

Honestly, I don't know why it took three discs, as all the first two did was format the drive, the last reinstalled the programs. But whenever I install a new drive (you and I bought the same Samsung at the same time), I prefer a fresh install.

BTW, that drive turned out really good for me, I hope it did for you, too.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK that is actually a complete system restore; still seems odd it takes so many but they may have designed their software to split out drivers, software, etc. What I was referring to is the W7 recovery DVD which W7 recommends you create when you install the OS (this is from Microsoft, not HP). If you go to Control Panel\Back-up and Restore there is an option "Create a system repair disk" and I believe this is the same DVD I create when I do installs. I recommend everyone have this disk in case your machine "craps out".

Yes I bought two of the Samsung HD103SJs and am quite pleased; one I kept and one I put in to my brothers business partners machine to replace the Hitachi which was so loud at first and which runs at about 125 degrees F.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I know which one you're talking about now. I have that system repair disc, as well as another that was posted for download on this forum a long time ago. It's over 100MB in size.

Glad that you mentioned it, I just found them both. I wished I knew where that other disc was listed, it was a straight download, now it's a torrent file, but perfectly legal to download.

The 32 bit disc is 146,674KB long, the 64 bit is 169,650KB long. I still have them on a flash drive, but don't have the source of the discs any longer.

PS: I found it!

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Hope that it's useful!

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question