System Image

Discussion in 'alt.windows7.general' started by Periproct, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. Periproct

    Periproct Guest

    Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    elseware.

    On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    passwords set?
     
    Periproct, Oct 27, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Periproct

    John Guest

    Yes, I wrote my Win7 download (the .ISO file) to DVD. It verified, so I can
    reasonably trust it's good.

    I understand DVDs don't write as good as CDs. Also, if your system is
    marginal-performance, there will be a lot of input bits that go into that
    great bit bucket in the sky. And, your software can be flakey. I just
    received my backup DVD from Microsoft; there's one 64-bit and one 32-bit DVD
    in it. (Why would anyone want 32-bit anymore?) My system is probably at
    about 60% of a good fast gaming machine and I have trouble copying
    (copy-able) DVDs. There are many arguments for a top-of-the-line computer
    and yours may be one of them.

    John


    "Periproct" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    > get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    > to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    > It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    > elseware.
    >
    > On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    > create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    > passwords set?
     
    John, Oct 29, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Periproct

    Periproct Guest

    On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:56:27 +0000, Periproct
    <> wrote:

    >Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    >get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    >to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    >It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    >elseware.
    >
    >On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    >create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    >passwords set?



    Aargh, help!

    Regarding the above message from me:-
    I wondered if it was a problem with my old LG DVD writer so of I went
    and did an impulse purchase of another LG, but this time a BluRay
    drive.

    With the new drive I have tried DVD-R, DVD DL+R, DVD+R and every time
    it writes the files to the first disk and then says there are errors
    on the disk.
    Tried it with a BD-RE disk and this time it just wrote the directory
    structure to the disk before coming up with an error message.

    I really would like a System Image on DVD etc that I can tuck away in
    a cupboard. Plus I'm getting stubborn and would like to crack this
    problem.

    Any ideas?
     
    Periproct, Nov 1, 2009
    #3
  4. Periproct

    Dave-UK Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:56:27 +0000, Periproct
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    >>get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    >>to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    >>It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    >>elseware.
    >>
    >>On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    >>create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    >>passwords set?

    >
    >
    > Aargh, help!
    >
    > Regarding the above message from me:-
    > I wondered if it was a problem with my old LG DVD writer so of I went
    > and did an impulse purchase of another LG, but this time a BluRay
    > drive.
    >
    > With the new drive I have tried DVD-R, DVD DL+R, DVD+R and every time
    > it writes the files to the first disk and then says there are errors
    > on the disk.
    > Tried it with a BD-RE disk and this time it just wrote the directory
    > structure to the disk before coming up with an error message.
    >
    > I really would like a System Image on DVD etc that I can tuck away in
    > a cupboard. Plus I'm getting stubborn and would like to crack this
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?


    No idea. I've just tried it and it failed twice.
    Cheap LG burner, DVD_R . It gets stuck in a loop asking for "media bigger that 1 GB".
    When I finally get out of the loop and look at the disk there's just an empty folder.
    Hopeless, I'll stay with a HD backup.
     
    Dave-UK, Nov 1, 2009
    #4
  5. Periproct

    Periproct Guest

    On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:25:43 -0000, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:

    >
    >"Periproct" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:56:27 +0000, Periproct
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    >>>get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    >>>to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    >>>It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    >>>elseware.
    >>>
    >>>On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    >>>create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    >>>passwords set?

    >>
    >>
    >> Aargh, help!
    >>
    >> Regarding the above message from me:-
    >> I wondered if it was a problem with my old LG DVD writer so of I went
    >> and did an impulse purchase of another LG, but this time a BluRay
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> With the new drive I have tried DVD-R, DVD DL+R, DVD+R and every time
    >> it writes the files to the first disk and then says there are errors
    >> on the disk.
    >> Tried it with a BD-RE disk and this time it just wrote the directory
    >> structure to the disk before coming up with an error message.
    >>
    >> I really would like a System Image on DVD etc that I can tuck away in
    >> a cupboard. Plus I'm getting stubborn and would like to crack this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    >
    >No idea. I've just tried it and it failed twice.
    >Cheap LG burner, DVD_R . It gets stuck in a loop asking for "media bigger that 1 GB".
    >When I finally get out of the loop and look at the disk there's just an empty folder.
    >Hopeless, I'll stay with a HD backup.
    >

    Curious. I got the empty directory structure and the same message as
    you on the BluRay disk. For me, on any type of DVD it writes the whole
    lot to the DVD but says there are errors on the media.

    I'd love to make a System Image on my NAS but it insists on a password
    when I don't have any passwords set anywhere. I tried to copy a System
    Image I'd made on a hard disk to an empty directory on the NAS and
    near the end of the copy process it starts to ask if it can overwrite
    files so I don't even trust that backup.

    I'm happy with the hard drive System Image but I'd like another one on
    removeable media but Windoze is determined to stop me.
     
    Periproct, Nov 1, 2009
    #5
  6. Periproct

    Dave-UK Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:25:43 -0000, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:
    >
    > I'd love to make a System Image on my NAS but it insists on a password
    > when I don't have any passwords set anywhere. I tried to copy a System
    > Image I'd made on a hard disk to an empty directory on the NAS and
    > near the end of the copy process it starts to ask if it can overwrite
    > files so I don't even trust that backup.
    >
    > I'm happy with the hard drive System Image but I'd like another one on
    > removeable media but Windoze is determined to stop me.


    I'm no network expert but I think you have to have passwords.
    Try setting a password and then saving an image.
     
    Dave-UK, Nov 1, 2009
    #6
  7. Periproct

    Periproct Guest

    On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 23:40:42 -0000, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:

    >
    >"Periproct" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:25:43 -0000, "Dave-UK" <Here@home> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd love to make a System Image on my NAS but it insists on a password
    >> when I don't have any passwords set anywhere. I tried to copy a System
    >> Image I'd made on a hard disk to an empty directory on the NAS and
    >> near the end of the copy process it starts to ask if it can overwrite
    >> files so I don't even trust that backup.
    >>
    >> I'm happy with the hard drive System Image but I'd like another one on
    >> removeable media but Windoze is determined to stop me.

    >
    >I'm no network expert but I think you have to have passwords.
    >Try setting a password and then saving an image.
    >

    I'm giving up for tonight.

    Dragged the System Image to BluRay disk and it seemed to work.
    Dragged from BluRay disk to the NAS and that seemed to work.
    Checked the contents on both and half the files were missing!!!
    Drag and dropped the missing ones across and it looks like I have a
    System Image on hard disk, BluRay disk and on the NAS.

    What are the chances of them working if I need them.

    It's just accurred to me - in the time I've wasted I could have
    reinstalled Windoze a dozen times over.

    Wine, 'Mock the Week' here I come.
     
    Periproct, Nov 2, 2009
    #7
  8. I haven't tried to make a system image but I have tried to make a "Complete
    Backup" which failed the first couple of times. The backup would stall at
    49% and just stay there. I then tried a backup choosing what to backup and
    had immediate success. I then examined the areas that I omitted from the
    Complete backup and found a corrupt Word file. I deleted this file through
    Word as Windows Explorer would not allow it to be deleted. I then tried the
    Complete Backup and it went through quite quickly.

    Perhaps something like this is stopping the System Image creation.

    Ron

    "Periproct" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:56:27 +0000, Periproct
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anybody tried to create a System Image to DVD? Every time I try I
    >>get an error message saying there are errors on the media and asks me
    >>to try again. Tried to DVD-R and DVD+R DL.
    >>It does work OK to a hard disk but I'd like a second Image to store
    >>elseware.
    >>
    >>On another note, why does it insist on a password when I try and
    >>create a System Image to a network device when I don't have any
    >>passwords set?

    >
    >
    > Aargh, help!
    >
    > Regarding the above message from me:-
    > I wondered if it was a problem with my old LG DVD writer so of I went
    > and did an impulse purchase of another LG, but this time a BluRay
    > drive.
    >
    > With the new drive I have tried DVD-R, DVD DL+R, DVD+R and every time
    > it writes the files to the first disk and then says there are errors
    > on the disk.
    > Tried it with a BD-RE disk and this time it just wrote the directory
    > structure to the disk before coming up with an error message.
    >
    > I really would like a System Image on DVD etc that I can tuck away in
    > a cupboard. Plus I'm getting stubborn and would like to crack this
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?
     
    Worn Out Retread, Nov 4, 2009
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Jack Gillis

    Unable to Create System Image on DVD's

    Jack Gillis, Nov 3, 2009, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    3,859
    Char Jackson
    Jan 28, 2010
  2. Jay OBrien

    How to delete a system image?

    Jay OBrien, Nov 6, 2009, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    18,647
    Veedaz
    Dec 11, 2009
  3. Sparky

    Moving System Image

    Sparky, Dec 8, 2009, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,819
    Sparky
    Dec 8, 2009
  4. genious

    Re: Moving System Image

    genious, Dec 9, 2009, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,035
    Sparky
    Dec 10, 2009
  5. Jeff Layman

    How much space does System Image require?

    Jeff Layman, Feb 4, 2010, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    7,887
    Jeff Layman
    Feb 4, 2010
  6. DirtRider

    Restore System Image - Works Great

    DirtRider, Aug 15, 2010, in forum: General Discussion
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,850
    DirtRider
    Aug 16, 2010
  7. JClark

    can't create system image to second HD

    JClark, Nov 26, 2010, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    6,195
  8. Keboose
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,635
    Keboose
    Jan 22, 2011
Loading...