SOLVED Surprise message this morning

Reaction score
As my subscription to Eset Nod 32 has almost expired, I have been giving MSE a trial run. When I started up this morning I saw the message below. Any ideas what this is all about and why it has happened?

Attachments

Reaction score
I have just received the e mail below, but the answer is not on here. What is happening?

Dear andsome,

clifford_cooley has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Surprise message this morning - in the Windows 7 Support forum of Windows 7 Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.w7forums.com/surprise-message-morning-t15899-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Did you run CCleaner the night before?

I have this very same thing happen every time I run CCleaner. I've grown accustomed to running a quick scan just after using CCleaner.

Reaction score
I've had this message before. It was just after using my HDD Dock. Windows would trigger de-activation and Microsoft in their crazy wisdom, decided to include MSE in the De-activation system. This is all fine and peachy except MSE activation is independent from Windows Activation. Not only did I need to re-activate through Windows, I needed to re-activate through MSE also. This was complete incompetence of Microsoft, if you ask me.

I have since corrected my issue with the dock. I needed the SATA port configured for removable devices with AHCI mode instead of IDE.

Edit:
Sorry andsome for the first comment, it was an incorrect response to your issue.

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't think I will be keeping MSE. I will see how things go.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This is really odd. I have been using MSE on all my systems for more than 3 years. And I am a regular CCleaner too. I have never seen these problems on any of my system.

Note it is saying Windows did not pass.

Microsoft in their crazy wisdom
These problems are not due to some Microsoft decision, but a problem on that machine - most likely an Update that was not properly applied. Otherwise, there would be millions of users with this problem.

See here.

Reaction score
It's the same for me...I've been using it since it's conception and never seen that error message or any error message for that matter.

Reaction score
Note it is saying Windows did not pass.
Yes it did say that but when Windows does pass MSE doesn't correct itself. In fact the first time I had no choice but to un-install MSE to correct the issue. Once MSE 4.0 came out the button MSE has to auto correct finally worked.

My issue is not why MSE would even check for activation when it is advertised as a free program. Although it is obvious, Microsoft lied about MSE being free. We all know MSE will not even install unless Windows has been activated. My biggest problem is why MSE doesn't automatically correct itself the instant Windows is re-activated. This suggest MSE uses independent activation checks other than what Windows uses, which is why I used the term crazy wisdom to describe Microsoft.

And no I didn't suggest this is a wide spread problem. And no I am not complaining about the issue itself. I am complaining about the double process one must go through to correct the issue. Especially when uninstall and re-install is required, just because of an activation issue not correcting itself through what should be a simple process.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well many Microsoft products require a valid OS license and saimoorthi is correct that that is in fact what the message suggests. However, I don't know what causes it, CCleaner or something else, but sometimes it can detect an invalid license when in fact the license is valid (I have seen that message too).

Try a manual update of MSE and see if the message clears.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Although it is obvious, Microsoft lied about MSE being free.
No they didn't. :( That's nonsense! It is completely free! It is even completely free for commercial use by small businesses with up to 10 computers!

What's obvious is distrust and dislike of Microsoft, the company, feeds into typing fingers and that distrust and hate of the company bleeds over into opinions of their products.

MSE is free. Period.

I see no problem with Microsoft (or any company) checking to see if you are using a Genuine copy of their product. In fact, I applaud them for it. Why? Because (1) pirated copies of Windows and other software are common sources of malware, and (2) the software thieves who use illegally obtained software or licenses often fail to keep their systems patched and updated for fear of being caught. Either way, that makes those users and their vulnerable machines PRIMARY TARGETS of the badguys seeking easy pickings to compromise, draft into their bot armies, and turn into major threats against the rest of us as spamming machines, DDoS attacks or distributors of malicious code. And Microsoft, tired of years of relentless, unwarranted, and opportunistic bashing for a security situation they did NOT cause, is doing something about it.

Sure, they are tired of losing $100s millions in annual sales. Lost sales, like shoplifting, is something everyone has to pay for. But the sullied security situation they did not cause hurts (you, me, taxpayers, and them) more.

That said, it IS a problem when genuine copies are tagged as non-genuine. But "false positives" (which is what I think happened here) happen - and no product maker likes them. Whether it be your spam blocker, virus checker, or genuine product identifier. Users don't like them. And in fact, too many false positives is one reason (albeit a small reason) I no longer use AVG.

But the reality here is Windows often does this because multiple system files it checks have been modified - often by malware activity, collateral damage from malware or its removal, or some other unfortunate circumstance besides a bad database entry at Redmond. Often, running sfc /scanow can fix that.

Sadly, I have seen this caused by misguided users and computer repair "pros" too - who don't use the correct disk during a recovery/repair process.

Try a manual update of MSE and see if the message clears.
I was going to suggest something a bit more drastic - uninstall MSE, then download and reinstall MSE again. This will ensure a fresh rewrite of the files and settings.

@andsome - If you run Windows Update, do you get the genuine validation warning?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No they didn't. :( That's nonsense! It is completely free! It is even completely free for commercial use by small businesses with up to 10 computers!

What's obvious is distrust and dislike of Microsoft, the company, feeds into typing fingers and that distrust and hate of the company bleeds over into opinions of their products.

MSE is free. Period.

I see no problem with Microsoft (or any company) checking to see if you are using a Genuine copy of their product. In fact, I applaud them for it. Why? Because (1) pirated copies of Windows and other software are common sources of malware, and (2) the software thieves who use illegally obtained software or licenses often fail to keep their systems patched and updated for fear of being caught. Either way, that makes those users and their vulnerable machines PRIMARY TARGETS of the badguys seeking easy pickings to compromise, draft into their bot armies, and turn into major threats against the rest of us as spamming machines, DDoS attacks or distributors of malicious code. And Microsoft, tired of years of relentless, unwarranted, and opportunistic bashing for a security situation they did NOT cause, is doing something about it.

Sure, they are tired of losing $100s millions in annual sales. Lost sales, like shoplifting, is something everyone has to pay for. But the sullied security situation they did not cause hurts (you, me, taxpayers, and them) more.

That said, it IS a problem when genuine copies are tagged as non-genuine. But "false positives" (which is what I think happened here) happen - and no product maker likes them. Whether it be your spam blocker, virus checker, or genuine product identifier. Users don't like them. And in fact, too many false positives is one reason (albeit a small reason) I no longer use AVG.

But the reality here is Windows often does this because multiple system files it checks have been modified - often by malware activity, collateral damage from malware or its removal, or some other unfortunate circumstance besides a bad database entry at Redmond. Often, running sfc /scanow can fix that.

Sadly, I have seen this caused by misguided users and computer repair "pros" too - who don't use the correct disk during a recovery/repair process.

I was going to suggest something a bit more drastic - uninstall MSE, then download and reinstall MSE again. This will ensure a fresh rewrite of the files and settings.

@andsome - If you run Windows Update, do you get the genuine validation warning?
No problems sice I uninstalled and then reinstalled MSE. I am patiently waiting to see if it happens again. There is no way that Windows 7 is not legit, it came direct from MS when it was first launched.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No problems sice I uninstalled and then reinstalled MSE. I am patiently waiting to see if it happens again. There is no way that Windows 7 is not legit, it came dorect from MS when it was first launched.
I don't think anyone here doubts that or you. This appears to have been a "false positive". Regrettable, should never have happened, but they do. And like here, most have happy endings.

I am glad it appears to be resolved.

Reaction score
MSE is free. Period.
No its not, if it was it wouldn't be tied to Windows activation. Anything that has a cost or conditions to use is not free. I don't have a problem with MSE having terms of use. And I don't care about your opinion, when it contradicts what I know to be true.

Thats besides the point!

You have posted a wall of text showing how much you are a supporter of Microsoft, no matter what they do or in this case possibly what they didn't do. You have posted to prove a point (a point that I understand and sympathize with) that was not even based about the issue I stated I had. Do you not have anything to say about MSE not re-activating itself when Windows does? Do you not understand that if one passes validation, they both can be updated at the same time? But in Microsoft's lack of wisdom they never integrated the two to take advantage of one validation check.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are lots of things where you have to meet certain terms and conditions to get them for Free. There is no monetary cost IF you meet the conditions.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have posted a wall of text showing how much you are a supporter of Microsoft, no matter what they do or in this case possibly what they didn't do.
Only when falsely accused. I have been very critical of MS on many occasions - in particular, of their business, marketing and PR decisions. The fact remains, their software is good stuff.

You have posted to prove a point...that was not even based about the issue I stated I had.
I see. But accusing Microsoft of lying was? And andsome's problem was based Microsoft's alleged[/u] lying too? Or were those just opportunistic jabs, with absolutely no basis for association with andsome's problem?

I did post to prove a point. The point being MSE is free. It is not full of ads. It does not attempt to foist any unwanted toolbars or other junk on you. And it does not bug you to upgrade to a costly pro version that requires regular renewals. It is 100% free.

So is Firefox and Avira, CCleaner. But since they require hardware to run on, and Windows to run in, are you going suggest they are not free? Or just Microsoft products?

Do you not have anything to say about MSE not re-activating itself when Windows does? Do you not understand that if one passes validation, they both can be updated at the same time? But in Microsoft's lack of wisdom they never integrated the two to take advantage of one validation check.
Do you not understand that (1) your situation and andsome's situation are different, though similar and (2) that there was some error, corruption or other fault that caused these errors, (3) the vast majority of users are not having these problems because it does work, and (4) a fault on your system is not automatically due to some decision at Microsoft?

There are lots of things where you have to meet certain terms and conditions to get them for Free. There is no monetary cost IF you meet the conditions.
Exactly. And if you follow the "*" after the word "free" on the MSE download page , it says, * Internet access fees may apply while downloading. Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials. I guess you could they lied there too - unless you live somewhere where free Internet access is available.

Users have a choice. They don't have to use MSE. They don't even have to use Windows.

Reaction score
Digs there is no point in talking to you because I know its pointless. I'm not gonna repeat myself when you choose to ignore what I say. You have just become the first person to ever be listed on my ignore list.

Goodbye have fun, I'm tired of the bickering between us.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Goodbye have fun, I'm tired of the bickering between us.
Me too.
I'm not gonna repeat myself when you choose to ignore what I say.
Where did I ignore you! You say MSE is not free but you ignore what I, AND OTHERS say, and you ignore links to the official source that collaborate our claim. :(

You, again, provided nothing. You claim MS lied but show no evidence. You say MSE is not free, but again, show no evidence - and you ignore the evidence presented.

I am sorry you continue to refuse to accept any of the proof presented. You ignore the facts when they are clearly evidenced before you. And that is the source of our bickering. I am not the problem here.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I would say the definition of Free is ... it costs no extra money. Many products make conditions on their use, even our freeware DB has many products that are free for individuals but cannot be used for free by a business. Other products are free but they contain advertising. So I have to disagree with you Clifford, MSE is free to licensed windows users, it is a condition, not a cost.

I think I understand what you mean, but I do not believe Microsoft is being deceptive about MSE: they aren't hiding the fact that you must have a valid Windows license. The software is free to download but you must meet certain conditions to use it.

Those conditions are listed in fine print on the main page:
* Internet access fees may apply while downloading. Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials. | Microsoft Security Essentials Privacy Statement | Microsoft Security Essentials License Agreement
Source: MSE

Ask a Question