SOLVED Surprise message this morning

Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean, but I do not believe Microsoft is being deceptive about MSE: they aren't hiding the fact that you must have a valid Windows license. The software is free to download but you must meet certain conditions to use it.
I'm not concerned about the conditions and don't want to debate about my personal opinion. Especially when anyone reading can see my comment about "Microsoft's crazy wisdom" is an opinion. Nobody can make any opinionated comments against Microsoft without Digs stepping in. I stated my opinion and also stated I didn't have an issue with it (because I understand why it is what it is).

Here is another personal opinion for you. I feel as if the forum can do without Digs coming here specifically looking for someone that has outspoken issues against Microsoft especially when they appear opinionated.

Ohh and Digs before I hid your comments, I noticed you made a rather crazy comparison. Software that has been programmed to stop functioning is not related to hardware conditions for use. I can't believe someone as bright as yourself would make the statement you did.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think this thread is getting off topic and way too much onto feelings instead of facts so I am throwing in something back on topic...

Andsome, it was a false positive, it happens and it is frustrating. It can normally be resolved with a reinstall of MSE. MSE is free to those that meet the conditions of use and is recognized as a very good A/V product. I'm glad you got it reinstalled and working and I will mark this thread as solved.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What on earth did I start with an Innocent thread?
Not your fault so please don't feel guilty or at all responsible. You are not. And certainly don't let anything that happened here make you hesitant to post more questions.

If you stick 10 experts in a room and pose a problem to all of them, you will get 10 different answers, and most of them will be viable solutions. If you have ever been in a "peer review" where your colleagues, mentors, and the new guys (mentees ?) sit around a table and tear apart and analyze your work, bit by bit, it can be intimidating, grueling, and very heated as you defend your position. But to be fruitful, emotions and personal feelings need to stay out of it - as difficult as that may be. The end result is hopefully a consensus, a learning experience, and most importantly, a professionally produced product for the consumer.

Sadly, there will be some who do not use or will not accept the facts, in spite of irrefutable evidence. Sometimes that is necessary as times and events change. But most times, the facts cannot be ignored - and some are not willing to accept that as readily as others - especially if it goes against something they have long believed to be (and may at one time have been) true.

These are technical forums - and like peer reviews, there is no place for emotions, personal insults, taking opposing views as personal affronts, and no place to let personal opinions bias our work - especially in face of published, established, verifiable facts to the contrary. That is a daunting challenge - not always achieved - but something we must strive for, in spite our personal feelings on the subject matter, or the players behind them.

I apologize for my part in this.

Ask a Question