Student Discount -- Full Version

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time on the forums. Seems like a good place for information, so figured I would ask my question here.

I am a university student in the U.S., and JUST put together a new PC. (Only carryover parts were vid card, PSU, and RAM.) I would like to get a version of Windows 7 64-bit, but definitely don't have $200 to spend. I found out about the "Ultimate Steal" promo, but all I can find are discounts on upgrade versions!

Does anyone have any information that can help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

Walt

Reaction score
There are alternatives to buying an OEM version (which you should know cannot be used on any other computer hardware... ever.)

If your school is a participating vendor you can get sharply discounted versions at JourneyEd . The only caveat is you must provide proof that you are a student there and currently enrolled full time with at least 12 credits. And not all schools participate, so don't be upset if yours does not.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Your college's IT center may be selling the OS themselves for a discounted price. When Vista came out, I picked up Ultimate for $20. It's worth asking them.

Reaction score
When I got my upgrade version of 7 the only choice was 7 home premium and I paid $30 for it. Now I see that it's the professional version for $65. I wonder why the change.

Reaction score
While most colleges used to sell software in their bookstore, it's no longer the case because people would buy it out and then re-sell it for a profit. My alma mater is one of them.
Now, if you try to buy software on a campus they will refer you to a website. While it is a bit of a hassle, I can understand the concern of the campus to place restrictions. Though I'm more inclined to think M$ did the restricting.

Ask a Question