Strange prices for games

Reaction score
hi all,

about 2 months ago i bought bioshock 2 for pc right for $15 AUD (btw it was the rapture ed. RRP: $109.95!) from a game shop, yesterday i went to a different game shop on the other side of town, the standard game without any goodies was $40!! now how does that work?? :confused: lol
also does any one think $30 is a good price to pay for broken 1st gen ps3?? (keeping in mind i know and have all the equipment to repair it)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
also does any one think $30 is a good price to pay for broken 1st gen ps3?? (keeping in mind i know and have all the equipment to repair it)
Add to that the cost of your parts + how many hours of labor do you think it will take. Is this for you or for resale; if it's for you then do you need it. You have to assign the value to your needs and desires and to your time to repair it.

Also, how do you "know" you have everything you need to fix it? There may be hidden damage.

Economics 101: Law of supply and demand. The consumer sets the demand, the manufacturer sets the supply. If the supply is too great then the value goes down because more stores have them to get rid of and they will compete with each other to get rid of their copies. If more people want the item then are available then the price will rise because people will pay more to get one. So basically they guess at what price it will sell and the consumer decides how much they are willing to pay. At $15 the disc sold, at $40 it's still on the shelf. Would you have paid $25? On the broken PS3 is it worth $30 to you? If this is a used game store then offer them $25 and see if they will take it. If necessary ask for the manager; the worst they can say is NO, at which point you will decide if $30 is your price or not.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Add to that the cost of your parts + how many hours of labor do you think it will take. Is this for you or for resale; if it's for you then do you need it. You have to assign the value to your needs and desires and to your time to repair it.

Also, how do you "know" you have everything you need to fix it? There may be hidden damage.

Economics 101: Law of supply and demand. The consumer sets the demand, the manufacturer sets the supply. If the supply is too great then the value goes down because more stores have them to get rid of and they will compete with each other to get rid of their copies. If more people want the item then are available then the price will rise because people will pay more to get one. So basically they guess at what price it will sell and the consumer decides how much they are willing to pay. At $15 the disc sold, at $40 it's still on the shelf. Would you have paid $25? On the broken PS3 is it worth $30 to you? If this is a used game store then offer them $25 and see if they will take it. If necessary ask for the manager; the worst they can say is NO, at which point you will decide if $30 is your price or not.

I don't want or need a PS3. Working, I might pay up to $30 less than I could sell it, but broken it's value to me is $0.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I agree with both of Trainable's posts.

Ask a Question