Startup repair nightmare!

Reaction score
Evening Partygoers!

I have W7 ultimate. One morning I went to turn on my PC and windows would not start up. Windows tries to load and then it goes to the startup repair, which of course is not working.

I have tried a system restore twice and no luck. I have tried a "bootrec/fixmbr" and "bootrec/fixboot" Both times is said it was successfull but still no luck. In someone's plea for help in another post a moderator posted a link in how to thru the command line and into the directory. Part of this process requires typing
"CD\windows\system32\config". I get the message that the "system cannot find the file specified". Now I have been doing this from my upgrade disk to ultimate.

so question #1-should I be trying this from the Win7 original disc?
questin #2 - What the hell is going on and can please someone help me fix this?!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely causes: a virus, a hardware problem (example hard drive failing)

Yes from the W7 DVD, do you have a W7 DVD? If so boot your system to it; the DVD must be first in your boot sequence. Then run startup repair from the DVD.

If that allows you to boot then I would boot to safe mode (without network support) and run a complete A/V scan. Even better would be to download TDSSKiller & RKill and run those in safe mode before you run the scan (Find links to those Virus removal tools in our Freeware DB near the bottom).

Last edited:
Reaction score
UPDATE: The "sevenforums tutorial" I was able to get thru w/ no luck. Trainable man I have been able to boot from the safe mode of my WIN7 but all that does is take me too safe made and then begins "startup repair".
So what would my next step be? Is there a way to burn some of the programs you suggest to a CD? But thru this process at anytime have I been able to access my WIN 7.
thanks again for helping me

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, you can put the programs on a USB thumb drive.

I need to be sure we are talking the same thing, before you said you tried "system restore" twice. System restore merely returns your system settings/registry to a previously saved time.

"Start-up repair" can be run from the W7 DVD (or from a hidden partition on your Hard drive if it was set up that way at the factory). This restores system files on the computer and should fix the boot sector. Normally you set the BIOS to load from the DVD first in the boot order and you put in the W7 DVD and run "start-up repair". <- You need to run this if you can. It happens at boot, not once you are in safe mode.

When you actually get into safe mode, I would assume it is offering a "System Restore", not a "Start-up repair"?

Reaction score
I have run startup repair w/ the dvd in th pc. I put MSSS on a thumb drive and received the message "system cannot find the file specified". I did go into the boot order of the BIOS and changed the startup sequence so that the bootup would starta w/ the thumb drive. It is a older thumb drive so that might be and issue but I don't know.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is run Start-up repair, that runs from the W7 DVD, which is bootable. Boot up to the W7 DVD, that is what needs to be first in your boot order.

Next... By default, USB drives do not have the OS so you couldn't boot to them. You said you can boot to safe mode and there you should then be able to run anti-virus programs FROM the USB thumb drive, but you are booting from the hard drive into safe mode.

Reaction score
If I enter into "safe mode" I still have the same problem. it will go into "startup repair" I have used startup repaird w/ the Win7 dvd in the pc. Since this issue has orruced I have had no access to Win7 on my desktop.
It is the startup repair mode or I can go to the "advanced options" menu and I can also go to the menu that offers stystem restore, startup repair, etc, etc.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your computer boots properly to the W7 DVD then it is NOT in safe mode, it should show a menu from the DVD. Have you done THIS?

Once you have done that then remove the W7 DVD and leave it out. Reboot.

Now what happens? Can you boot normally? Can you at least get to safe mode with F8 key? Safe mode is not and should not be the same as system restore. You can do a system restore from safe mode but it should not be your only option. Just choose continue with safe mode rather than run a system restore.

Reaction score
I have done ALL of those things on the list from the webite.
When I reboot w/ the Win7 dvd out, I still have the same problem-startup repair.
When the pc is starting I can hold F8, get to the "advanced options menu" when I select "safe mode" it starts into the startup repair.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm at a loss to be honest and personally I would probably just reinstall but if you want to press on ...

I did notice above you said you get an error when you CD\windows\system32\config. So then you never actually copied the system files or finished the instructions given on that other forum to restore your system?

Try booting to the W7 DVD and get to the command prompt. (I assume your OS was installed to partition C: )
if you type C: do you get a C:> prompt?
if you type cd \windows do you get the C:\windows> prompt?
if you type cd system32 do you get the C:\windows\system32> prompt?
if you type cd config does it get you there?
The first level where you get an error not found in the steps above, type DIR /p and see what shows up. If the folder you are trying to get to is not listed then type DIR /ahs /p and tell me if the folder shows up then? If so, something has hidden or marked it as system (most likely a virus).

Ask a Question