SSD Drives - Phenomenal!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I like the quicklaunch for the simple fact it is more compact than the taskbar. I believe the new taskbar is to be more "Mac Dock"-like.

And yes I would amend my statement to say I hate websites that don't date their pages or don't specify the OS to which it applies.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe the new taskbar is to be more "Mac Dock"-like.
It is, but I don't have a problem with that. If something works, I don't care who thought of it first as long as the 2nd guy doesn't pretend it was his idea all along.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That's the problem, it doesn't - at least not how I use Quicklaunch. For example, I have 15 forum shortcuts at 7 sites I visit daily on my QL. The new taskbar does not allow me to have all 15 shortcuts on the taskbar as it pins them to my browser's icon. The new taskbar is great for launching and managing applications like Word and open docs, and it is great for managing open web pages, but it does not allow me to manage my commonly used shortcuts. Yes, I could put them on my desktop, but (1) my desktop gets covered and (2) too many shortcuts on the desktop can drastically slow boot times as each must be loaded with the desktop.

So I really like the new taskbar, but it does not take the place of Quicklaunch.

It probably comes down to personal taste. I have tried the approach of having a large number of shortcuts on my desktop. With my method of use, it didn't work for me. First, most of my work being on the internet, I usually had to move the open site in order to see my shortcuts - didn,t suit me.I also found that the desktop was so cluttered that I had to sometimes look around to find the shortcut I needed
Next was to have a "favorites" folder on the desktop. That was fine but then I decided to go with the approach of having another taskbar - nope
In the end, I settled for "pinning" to my taskbar browser. I have got used to this now.

As I say, it is very much a question of what appeals to the individual. A simple right click of my taskbar bowser (FF or IE, as the user may wish) and I have a drop down of all my favorite web sites.

Fwiw. I removed the notification bar, and now use, instead, the Mobility Center, when required.. This has given me room for 15 taskbar shortcuts, plus the pinned items under the browser shortcut. I could even squeeze in a few more.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It probably comes down to personal taste. I have tried the approach of having a large number of shortcuts on my desktop.
It is a matter of personal taste - but it is a matter of fact that lots of shortcuts on the desktop increases boot times. And on older computers with less capable graphics solutions, it can impact graphics performance as well.

Mobility Center is only available on laptops by default.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I said I gave up using shortcuts on the desktop. Any graphics additions will, naturally, slow down the boot time , if that is a consideration.
Not clear on your cryptic comment here
"Mobility Center is only available on laptops by default"
Yes, it is on laptops, (by default) and can be made to work on stationaries. But I was referring to my useage. As I had totally deleted the notification bar, I felt the need for an on demand replacement.

Last edited:

Ask a Question