some software questions.

Reaction score
Greetings all, my first post here so not sure if it would go better in other section but here goes.
Currently running XP Pro but will be building up a new machine to run Win7.

Just wanted to check that a couple of my most used programs will still run under WIN7.
I'll probably think of more later but here a few of the ones I use most commonly.

Mozilla Firefox web browser & Occasionally Safari.
Mozilla Thunderbird for email.
Mailwasher Pro as email filter
VLC media player.
AVG free but was thinking of going to Kaspersky
De-fraggler (free version of defrag that works better then the XP offering)

That's all for now, look forward to more input later.

Mychael

Reaction score
Hi Mychael - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not sure about "Mailwasher Pro as email filter" but I have heard good reports with all the other applications.

Reaction score
Mailwasher downloads all my emails before they actually get to my main email program. It works from it's own database which gets updated as more users report spam emails, plus you can teach it but tagging a new email as friendly or not. Very user friendly.

Can you also suggest any registry edit programs that are good for WIN7? I use a few different ones but I'm thinking some (like regedit XP) clearly wont work on ''7'.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
With Windows 7, you don't need Defraggler. It's a good app, I use it with XP, but with Windows 7, it's not so good. For example, if you defrag with the Windows one and it shows 0% fragmentation, you use Defraggler, it shows 14% fragmentation. So you defrag with Defraggler, then Windows reports 12% fragmentation. This doesn't happen with XP or Win 2K. Being that there's a huge difference in the reports before defragging, I rely on the Windows defrag tool. And before I forget, Welcome to the forum, Mychael! Hopefully, you'll learn a lot here, I certainly have. Anytime you need help or anything, feel free to post. There's a lot of good people here to assist you.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mailwasher downloads all my emails before they actually get to my main email program. It works from it's own database which gets updated as more users report spam emails, plus you can teach it but tagging a new email as friendly or not. Very user friendly.

Can you also suggest any registry edit programs that are good for WIN7? I use a few different ones but I'm thinking some (like regedit XP) clearly wont work on ''7'.
Unless you know what you're doing, don't mess with the registry of Windows 7. But if you must change any registry values, ALWAYS create a restore point first. And a backup wouldn't hurt, either.

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know that much about different registry editors. I don't make that many changes to the registry and the changes I do make are with the standard windows regedit.

Reaction score
Unless you know what you're doing, don't mess with the registry of Windows 7. But if you must change any registry values, ALWAYS create a restore point first. And a backup wouldn't hurt, either.
Sorry, I was not quite clear in my last post. I did not mean for altering the registry as you would if you went start-run-regedit. In the context of the registry programs I was meaning were registry cleaners in fact Ithink I should have said 'regclean XP'. There are others I also use from time to time.

Mychael

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Mailwasher Pro 6.4 works in both Win7 32bit and 64bit. I am unsure if versions before this one will work though.

All the other programs listed, except De-fraggler, work in Win 7 (32 or 64 bit) and for defragging I use MyDefrag (free and also works in 32 and 64 bit).

For Registry cleaning, I've been trying out Free Windows Registry Repair ( http://www.regsofts.com/ ), so far, so good.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, last question JASC Paint Shop Pro Version 5 I use a lot. Any thoughts on that one?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, last question JASC Paint Shop Pro Version 5 I use a lot. Any thoughts on that one?
Paint Shop Pro should work fine in Windows 7. It's now supported by Corel since they bought out Jasc a few years ago.

MyDefrag, as Draceena suggests is a good free defrag program. It works very well in Windows 7.

For a great reg cleaner and general cleaning program a lot of the uber geeks use CCleaner. It's free and does a good job while not screwing things up. (It used to be called CrapCleaner, but they changed the name for image reasons. :))

The remainder of your software listed should run just fine. BE SURE to get the latest Windows 7 drivers, either 32 bit or 64 bit, to make your system run smoothly.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forum website! :ciao:

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I actually use CCleaner on my XP machine now. So i'm familiar whit it. I don't want tolist every single pgm I run now as I'd bore you all to bits, just wanted to know about some of the main ones.

Ask a Question