Software CD will not AutoRun

Reaction score
All Auto Play programs run correctly EXCEPT when there is a .ico file incorporated somewhere
in the files.

When I install a original installation CD I get the following window:

Autorun.ico - Windows Live Photo Gallery

The only thing showing in the body of the window is a very small icon, nothing else and you can't
do anything from this window except close it.

You can manually go to Computer and Right Click on the drive containing the CD and choose
OPEN then you can manually click on the autorun.exe file to install the program.

Will someone please advise me what is going on and how it can be corrected. All other Auto Play disc work properly and open with the program that is set up as the default program to run it.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

It sounds like your system is autoplaying the ICO (image) file rather than the default settings. Could you please type "autoplay" in to the start menu, run the app with that name and then post a screenshot of the settings you have here please?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If you don't want to change the Pictures autoplay option, then you need to configure Windows to not treat .ico files as pictures - generally not a problem.

You can see this tutorial, particularly the How To Change File Associations by File Extension part, and switch .ico association from whatever it is (likely Windows Live Gallery in this case) to something else explorer.exe.

I haven't actually had the chance to test this but it should work in theory. I don't use Autoplay myself as I don't like things to open automatically.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like there will be 2 ways of doing it and if you can get it to not treat ICO files as pictures that may be the best solution (in Core's link). If that doesn't work, you can change the Pictures setting to "Ask me every time" which should stop it from happening.

Reaction score
This never happened until I set my autoplay default settings. Now everything
works except CD's etc with .exe files on them. It always pulls up the .ico
default. What could I have done wrong to cause this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could try resetting your system to a restore point prior to your change. That would put the associations back to the way they were.

To see if you have any restore points type restore point into the W7 search box and choose "restore ... to an earlier time"

Reaction score
My hard disc would not boot up that has windows program installed so I am putting in
a 500 GB SDD drive that will hold my windows files so this should solve the problem.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Tom

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question