Snipping Tool

Reaction score
I love this tool but I have an issue. It saves images with capitalized extensions such as JPG instead of jpg. There doesn't seem to be an option to change this within the tool.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For what it's worth I used to use the Snipping Tool, a lot!

Now I have switched to TechSmith's Snagit 10 because I can save captures as jpeg, png, bmp, ico, etc., plus it has a separate editing window to go back and customize the captures later.

It runs in either the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

It's a "pay" program but it is so much more useful and has tons of features including highlight, arrows, text balloon insertion, text fields, etc.

They offer a free 30 day trial so you can install it and see how you like it. Plus there's tutorials on their website.

You can read more about here: http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

Reaction score
I've used that program. It's too complicated for some of the captures I want. The nice thing about snipping tool is one click and I've got what I need. Mostly used for web sites I've designed. I just need to save them in a normal extension.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Now I have switched to TechSmith's Snagit 10 because I can save captures as jpeg, png, bmp, ico, etc., plus it has a separate editing window to go back and customize the captures later.

They offer a free 30 day trial so you can install it and see how you like it. Plus there's tutorials on their website.

You can read more about here: http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp
I'll give it a go. You're not the 1st person I've heard singing Snagit's praises

Reaction score
Possibly alternative w/ Snipping tool

I encountered the same frustration with the capitalized extensions. If you do a lot of snipping and don't want to change from Win7's snipping tool, you can use a tool like Advanced Renamer to rename the extensions to lowercase. I found this to be one of the best renamers with thumbnail previews, remembering last applied actions and directories. Designate a folder to snip to and you are off.

http://www.advancedrenamer.com

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is a nuisance, as it involves an extra click, but you can, of course, "save as"

Reaction score
Thanks!

It is a nuisance, as it involves an extra click, but you can, of course, "save as"
Geez, I had no clue you could just change the default name with the capital lettered extension to lower case. Just tested it now and that is great!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually the standard save works, you simply must type the .png or .jpg on your filename rather than allow it to add the extension for you.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Does the capitalisation make any physical difference? I use the capitalized extension on my png (PNG!) files so I can see at a glance which ones have been "Photoshopped".

Reaction score
Thanks, Mods, for the info. I just joined the forum and am glad to see such quick responses to my question. Dare I say this is the MS version of the Genius Bar?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
We aren't all Microsoft employees if that's what you mean, though there are a few members here who are. But we use or have experience with W7 and are pretty good with a search engine so we try to help others as best we can. Welcome to w7forums.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Does the capitalisation make any physical difference?
No. That's why it is not easy to rename files from one case to another - the system does not see it as change. So what some times works is to change it to something else, like xyz, then rename it again to lower case .jpg.

Reaction score
No. That's why it is not easy to rename files from one case to another - the system does not see it as change. So what some times works is to change it to something else, like xyz, then rename it again to lower case .jpg.
I have found that by hitting F5 or right-click, Refresh will cause the system to recognize the changes without needing the two steps.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That's if the changes took, but don't show. Sometimes they don't take because the system does not see a difference between upper and lower cases in the directory tree.

Ask a Question