Should I use up my 30days before registering?

Reaction score
As I've mentioned in another thread my install went very smoothly, even my modem problem self rectified the following day.
I've so far had no crashes, lockups, BSOD's etc etc and everything I've installed so far seems to be running ok.

I've got a few more programs to try to install but another hours work should see me with everything installed that I currently use on XP. Apart from XP specific programs of course.

Following the forums I've seen some people report how they initally had no issues with 7 then a few weeks later things started going wonky.

Based on my current expereince so far do you think I should register now or use up the 30 days first in case it all goes bad and I need to re-install again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are still experimenting with legacy software, It would not be a bad idea to wait a while. Saves the bother later opf uninstalling incompatible software. As ? you want to do a thorough job, and if you don't mind the work,. why not let it expire and do it all again - Good learning experience.
Then you could prepartition and avoid that xtra unamed partition which you have mentioned in the other thread.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
@ Mychael - Following the forums I've seen some people report how they initally had no issues with 7 then a few weeks later things started going wonky.
The vast majority of those problems that went "wonky" as you folks say in OZ was because they did an "upgrade" install over Vista, rather than a clean or custom install. Upgrade installs are not the way to go when going to Windows 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I would use the 30 days grace period, just to make sure things are right. That way, you'll still have your full 10 activations, and have lost nothing.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that go ahead and use up your 30 day grace period to make all is as you want it. Plus remember that there is 10 total online activations before you have to call MS.

Also, there's a nice little app I posted about a few months ago that will reinstall the activation key codes so you don't burn up your online activations.

Reaction score
IAs ? you want to do a thorough job, and if you don't mind the work,. why not let it expire and do it all again - Good learning experience.
Thanks Guys, Yes Dave would be a good learning experience and I should do it but I'm getting old and lazy and that sounds like an excercise in self abuse lol. Do you all reckon that once I've got all the software installed and if everything is still running fine then I'll be pretty right?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would play around with the different navigation features first. They are all there (from XP) but MS have created a little mystery game to exercise our imagination whilst we try to find them!
I mention this, as you may find, whilst playing, that you customise something not to your long term liking, but having used it once, you can quickly get to where you want on the second go. As I say, having completely b***red up your custmisation, a fress install might be in order. (But I do appreciate your comment - I have empathy - I'm 77.

Reaction score
You put me to shame mate.. so delete the 'old' bit and lets just say I'm lazy. lol

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No shame - me too. Particularly when my wife murmers something about gardening!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
if everything is still running fine then I'll be pretty right?
If you were ugly before, then getting Windows 7 working won't make you "pretty" :p

But you can use W7 to find a handsome fellow's picture and then lie to ladies online and send 'em that :lol:

But seriously if you have everything installed and working then consider making a clone back-up before you start tweaking that way if you screw something up you can restore easier

I also like to keep the webpage of tweak suggestions I try so I have them to apply to other machines or to fix if I reinstall or just want to undo it. Basically a change log. And I keep another folder for "Maybe later" ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you were ugly before, then getting Windows 7 working won't make you "pretty" :p

But you can use W7 to find a handsome fellow's picture and then lie to ladies online and send 'em that :lol:another folder for "Maybe later" ideas.

Damm, my secrets out. :eek:

Ask a Question