Setup

Reaction score
I have been trying to load win xp ( I know this is a win 7 site ) it all loads the files into the win istallation folder then reboots,but it then goes back to start reloading windows again,I have taken the disc out before it restarts and nothing happens,now I have a NTLDR missing comming on when the comp' has started,any-one any ideas as it's driving me nuts.
Thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try making a new folder on your hard disk and expand all the .iso to that folder, then run the install from there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hard disk problems can cause it.Installing XP on HDDs older than 3-4 years is not recommended as it could lead to a BSOD during the installation process

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A hard disk problem can cause lots of issues but I would have to disagree with your blanket statement about hard drives over 4 years old, etc. Some hard drives may come defective and others last 10 years or more. S.M.A.R.T. technology on today's hard drives can often help detect coming problems and warn you but a sudden head crash may lock up your hard drive w/o any warnings at all. I also would have no qualms about putting W7 OS on an SSD if someone wants to ship me one for free. There is a risk that any hard drive can fail at any time, which is why a good plan of scheduled back-ups is in every computer users best interest. But my personal hunch, I doubt a hard drive failure problem is the issue here.

Has this hard drive ever had W7 or Linux on it?

Ask a Question