Setup hanging at "Starting Windows" screen

Reaction score
I have just built a new system, using MSI Z87-GD65 mobo, i7-4770 3.4GHz cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a Sapphire Radeon HD6670 Graphics card.

I have tried 2 different installation DVDs, both of which reach the same point The system boots, and Windows loads the setup files, but it then hangs when it reaches the "Starting Windows" screen. I have also tried to install both XP Home and XP Pro using genuine installation discs. These also load all the setup files, but then reach a "STOP" screen, with the following error info:-
STOP:0x0000007e (0x0000005,0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
pci.sys AddressF748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp3b7d855c

This info means nothing to me, but I am hoping that someone will be able to assist.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I would start by making sure the motherboard in question and all the installed cards and memory are compatible. Check to see if your version of Win7 is for 32-bit or 64-bit motherboard & processor chip. Also, you can remove items one-by-one and substitute other hardware and repeat your test. Did you try resetting your BIOS to the defaults? Since your error message has "pci.sys", that might imply a piece of hardware plugged into a pci slot.

Reaction score
STOP:0x0000007e (0x0000005,0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
pci.sys AddressF748E0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp3b7d855c

I have the same problem. I got the exact error message like yours.
It happened 2 days ago when I woke up the computer from sleeping mode, I heard HDD not sounding right, then noticed some partitions (drives) not coming up. My Z87 board and the CPU was installed in August 2013 and has been running fairly ok under WIN 7 64. With HDD problem present, I took apart the computer and cleaned the power supply, MB, display card and everything then put them back, in an attempt to diagnose the HDD's and fix the problem, however, nothing worked right. I tried to re-install win7 system, got the said message, and same to after changing to the old XP pro, numerous times. I followed the screen suggestion, I removed everything, swapping RAM's and let it run with bare bone, got no improvement. I examined the pci slots and cleaned them both front and back, still no luck. From the moment I started cleaning, I put on anti-static bracelets and had the brush connected (grounded). So, please do not give wide-guess replies if anyone who does NOT know exactly what happens to MSI MB's. I am surprised that MSI had no one coming up to give you (now me too) a proper answer. I think I will have to contact this company and/or its agents. From searches, it looks like we are NOT alone.

Reaction score
ps: I also shorted all PCI pins from under and shorted the battery terminals and CMOS terminals 2-3 times, the damn blue screen still hang around!!!

Reaction score
ps(2):
I thought it was my HDD's causing the problem, so went to buy a brand new 2T drives. Sadly, it doesn't help in the many setup attempts.

Reaction score
I'm frusted with my MSI board. This may be my last posting about it. But I hope telling folks what I experinced can help in one way or ohter.

Attempt I
Over the last several days, I have been searching websites for clues and solutions and came to light that I might be able to "force-flash" the BIOS that I once blamed. In some forums of other language suggested that there was way to fix the problem. Seemed reasonable and workable, and I followed. I hereby show what I did in steps more precisely:
(1) to prepare a bootable USB drive with FlashBoot or the like
(a) from a working computer HDD, (forum postings suggested doing it from a USB or floppy,...) then
(b) choose a DOS from there for it
(2) from that HDD, send the content to the prepared USB drive,
(3) copy the already down-loaded BIOS to this USB drive,
(4) change its name to AMIBOOT.ROM,
(5) before proceeding, make sure the computer in problem can boot up. If yes, change the boot setting to boot from USB key,
(6) plugged that USB to the computer, start it with CTLR+HOME.
(7) when 4 beeps heard, bingo!

I followed the above steps, and heard the 4 beeps. The screen showed two folds of of the same contents, that were from the USB drive. However, nothing changed in the BIOS. and nothing changed the blue screen problem.

Attempt II
(I intially thought MB can not be flashed when it is nothing running (in windows), so went to attempt I above)
Since this MB is pronouced dead. No harm to try whatever that's available.
I used the same USB drive, copied a fresh BIOS to it w/o changing name (or we can use the one there, chaning its name back ). In fact I would think it better be a clean drive w/o the FlashBoot and a bootable DOS.
From the setup screen, I flashed the BIOS using the AMI option on the left-bottom corner. It took a couple of minutes, and in the course, screen blinked and turned black(scarely without forewarning from MSI), then came back showing the second half of the prgress. Pretty soon, I finished the BIOS flash. I got the latest BIOS E7816IMS v1.10 of July 2014 registed there (when down-loaded, it was shown as v1.A)Good, eh???

No,,,,No,,,,No,,,,
Nothing changed. So, what went wrong with this MB? I gave it nothing to start or to run setup, except a CD drive, a brand new HDD, the swap-tested RAM's, in pair,1,and then the other 1.

I have no more words to end this posting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
PCI.sys is a windows driver for plug & play and it is highly unlikely it is the actual cause of your problems. It is also extremely rare that the issue is your BIOS (while a BIOS update may make things like sleep functions perform better is is rarely the cause of a bluescreen). Yes it is possible the MOBO is defective but I doubt it, it is more likely the drivers you have installed.

On new builds the first thing you should do is check the RAM is correct for the MOBO and set to the proper speed & voltage. Then you test the RAM with a tool like memtest86+ to see if any of the RAM is putting out errors as this can mean a defect in the chip (or bad settings).

Also verify you Power supply (PSU) is adequate for the MOBO & graphics cards, VelociRapter hard drives, etc

Then you boot the computer into safe mode and if it works fine in safe mode then the issue is the drivers. You update the drivers by going to the manufacturer of all your components and you get the latest of each; this means you go to the MOBO manufacturer and you get many drivers for all the different pieces of a MOBO, next you get the latest video driver for your video card, then you update your network drivers, both LAN & WiFi, if they are separate from the MOBO. By the time you update those your problem is likely resolved.

Shintaro

Reaction score
You may have to copy the extracted motherboard drivers to a usb drive and during the install tell Windows where the drivers are.

Nice try about updating the BIOS, but *typically* boot problems like that are related to SSD's on older boards not spinning disks.

Ask a Question