setting up email

Reaction score
How in the world am I supposed to get my email? Windows apparently does not have Outlook Express on Windows 7. I don't want to set up another email address, but would like to be able to check mail without having to go on line to my providers site. Is this possible with Windows 7??

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can download the Windows Live Suite, or the parts of it that you need, for your emails and other needs. There's six or seven programs within it. Hope this helps, and welcome to the fourm, mimi! Should you need further help, post back anytime.P.S. It should be offered to you through Microsoft Update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look into Thunderbird. An awesome free email client. If you have used Outlook or Outlook Express in the past you can import into Thunderbird.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
How in the world am I supposed to get my email? Windows apparently does not have Outlook Express on Windows 7. I don't want to set up another email address, but would like to be able to check mail without having to go on line to my providers site. Is this possible with Windows 7??
It is MUCH safer to access your email through the browser rather than using standalone applications.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is MUCH safer to access your email through the browser rather than using standalone applications.
I do agree with you on this, so what's the purpose of these email programs? I don't understand all of the ado over email programs. I have three accounts, Yahoo, Hotmail and Opera Web Mail, and have had no trouble setting up an account or using it. But when I tried to set up Thunderbird, there was a lot of BS to it. I'm used to creating an account by a username & password, it was entirely different with Thunderbird. I believe in the KISS philosophy.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Setting up ANY standalone email program is time consuming.

You have to set the SMTP port and POP port, etc., then import your addresses also.

I did mess with Thunderbird and it was actually a lot simpler than others. It basically configured itself except for the addresses.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have the entire Windows Live suite, but find it much easier to put a bookmark on the toolbar for it. And since Bing is my home page, there's already a Hotmail link there. Isn't that so much easier? I have retrieved my emails through Windows Live Mail, but it's so time consuming to do.

Reaction score
I do agree with you on this, so what's the purpose of these email programs? I don't understand all of the ado over email programs. I have three accounts, Yahoo, Hotmail and Opera Web Mail, and have had no trouble setting up an account or using it. But when I tried to set up Thunderbird, there was a lot of BS to it. I'm used to creating an account by a username & password, it was entirely different with Thunderbird. I believe in the KISS philosophy.
I will never ever let anything to do with Yahoo anywhere near to my computer.:(

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I have the entire Windows Live suite, but find it much easier to put a bookmark on the toolbar for it. And since Bing is my home page, there's already a Hotmail link there. Isn't that so much easier? I have retrieved my emails through Windows Live Mail, but it's so time consuming to do.
While I agree the initial setup of Win Live Mail to be a bit time comsuming, now that I have all my emails directed to it, it's an easy one-click to retrieve everything at once.

YMMV

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
While I agree the initial setup of Win Live Mail to be a bit time comsuming, now that I have all my emails directed to it, it's an easy one-click to retrieve everything at once.

YMMV
draceena, I 100% agree with you, it took over an hour to set everything up. I use some of the other programs of Windows Live, too. I just find it easier to click onto the Hotmail link on my home page. Is accessing your emails more secure by using Windows Live Mail to retrieve them? If so, that's what I will start doing. I do know that most of your different email services can be added to the program, and this can make things simpler. I already have an account setup, I just need to add Operamail and Yahoo Mail to the list. In fact, I'm considering closing my Yahoo Mail account because of the massive amounts of spam that I receive daily. Please advise if this is more secure. Thanks, draceena, for your response to my post.:)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Catilley,

While I cannot promise that it is more or less secure to use Live Mail vs going through the browser. I feel more protected on my end from viruses and such that might come through email since Avast has a nice little email scanner.

Now I know that Avast will also protect you if you go through your browser to get your email so I suppose the odds would be even there. I guess the biggest thing to me is that I remove the browser from the email process and with all the problems that seem to crop up for every browser in regards to viruses and such, to me removing that from the process is a plus.

In the end it's a "Your Milage May Vary" (YMMV) and I could be all backwards on the whole 'better protected' idea and the browser could be better.

Reaction score
There is only one way to have your files on your computer and that is not through an Internet based email client.

Reaction score
I can't stand Windows Live, I ditched Gmail after they opted me in to some stupid social network program that I didn't want to be in, and anyway I hate browser-based email programs. I have a Yahoo address but I always got those emails via Outlook Express.

Does this pretty much leave me with Thunderbird?

(Yes, I realize this is a stupid question, but I'm being nagged to make a first post so here you go.) :0

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, jetlagged! I don't know about Gmail, but Windows Live does some of the same things. When I signed up for it, there was a social network that I can access with my Windows Live ID, I think it was Facebook. But I don't care for such things. I tried signing up for Thunderbird once, but it wasn't like signing up for a regular email account. They wanted all kinds of information that I don't even know, and can't find in the email account settings. I mean. why can't things be made simple, like when you move, you simply change your address. Why can't they take my email addresses and handle it from there? How many people actually knows all these POP3 & the other two options to choose from? Yahoo, Hotmail and Operamail doesn't display all of the required information to switch. But I have moved Yahoo to Windows Live, so that will hold down the spam. jetlagged, good luck figuring out how to setup Thunderbird. Someone recently on this forum reported problems with them.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I can't stand Windows Live, I ditched Gmail after they opted me in to some stupid social network program that I didn't want to be in, and anyway I hate browser-based email programs. I have a Yahoo address but I always got those emails via Outlook Express.

Does this pretty much leave me with Thunderbird?

(Yes, I realize this is a stupid question, but I'm being nagged to make a first post so here you go.) :0
Gmail's BUZZ was an option, you don't have to become a member of it. At least I was given the option. Plus in the account settings, you can hide that feature.

Using browser-based email is the safest route to go. But if not then use Thunderbird, it's one of the easiest to configure and setup.

Reaction score
I tried signing up for Thunderbird once, but it wasn't like signing up for a regular email account. They wanted all kinds of information that I don't even know, and can't find in the email account settings.
My internet days actually date back to before Hotmail was invented, so one of the first things I learned was how to set up an account. It's not as hard as it looks really - your ISP probably has a page for what you need to set up a mail account; you just take that info and fill in the blanks. I mention just in case you should ever want to give it a try.

Gmail's BUZZ was an option, you don't have to become a member of it. At least I was given the option. Plus in the account settings, you can hide that feature.
It was originally set "on" by default, until people raised a big stink about it. Actually it still might be, I'm not sure - but I do know that I had to spend half an hour tracking down the off switch. If they were deliberately hiding it they couldn't have done a better job.

I realize that a lot has changed in the last decade - like, people don't mind being stalked nearly as much as they used to - but I don't really want a bunch of people following me around on the internet.

Using browser-based email is the safest route to go. But if not then use Thunderbird, it's one of the easiest to configure and setup.
Thanks, I'll try it. I just went from an ancient Dell XP to a Sony with Windows 7 so I was pretty freaked out in general, but the lack of Outlook just about pushed me over the edge. Too much change all at once. :eek:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It was originally set "on" by default, until people raised a big stink about it. Actually it still might be, I'm not sure - but I do know that I had to spend half an hour tracking down the off switch. If they were deliberately hiding it they couldn't have done a better job.
It took me two minutes at the most to change the account settings in gmail. It's not that difficult at all.

Ask a Question