Server Upgrade/Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've got to move w7forums.com to a new server a little later on today, which may mean that the site is down for about 10 mins during the transfer period.

I'm going to move the site at 2PM GMT (that's just under 2 hours from this post). It shouldn't take long and no data will be lost :).

The new server has a better CPU and faster RAM (but the other components are the same), it also has a much lower load so should improve the site speed at busy times. :)

Reaction score
The new server has a better CPU and faster RAM (but the other components are the same), it also has a much lower load so should improve the site speed at busy times. :)
When exactly are the busy times? I've not really noticed any! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
More so when the server is busy, rather then just the forums. The move isn't mainly aimed at improving the speed, but it could be a side effect of the more powerful server :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm starting the move now, so the site may appear offline for a very short time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yessirree Bob! A bunch of comedians lurking around here for sure... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
"Mark Forums Read" resulted in the following error.

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Dave emailed me about the same error, and I think it's a temporary problem relating to the server move, as until the DNS change is picked up, most users will still be seeing the old server for the web serving (but the new server for the database). Once the DNS resolution is complete (should be this afternoon at the latest), then that should fix it. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ian, you should really move off to a linux machine. Might sound a little ironic, seeing as this is a windows forum, but Windows Server is a frikkin huge power hog. Linux is much stabler, lighter (more efficient) and of course, free.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I,m back in, Ian. Thanks

Glad that did the trick :)

Ian, you should really move off to a linux machine. Might sound a little ironic, seeing as this is a windows forum, but Windows Server is a frikkin huge power hog. Linux is much stabler, lighter (more efficient) and of course, free.
I do think Linux machines do make great webhosts - but I really like IIS and this is a Windows site after all ;). I find Windows/IIS a much easier combo to manage from an admin perspective, plus it helps with familiarity and answering questions on here :).

Ask a Question