Server Speed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw in another thread that a few people have had problems with the site speed last night, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on if there were any errors, or if you noticed the approx time it happened? :)

I can look up the server logs and check to see if anything went on around that sort of time which may have caused this.

Each Sat morning (GMT) there are full server backups performed which may cause this, but that happens at around 3AM GMT.

Reaction score
There wasnt any errors just took two minutes to load a page - Sorry about the time I cant remember what time it was - I do know the two days before I was having the same trouble are Midnight GMT.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford, if it happened during a weekday then it rules out the main server backups causing the problem - I'll check out the server today and see if I can find anything happening around midnight.

edit: at 2:13AM GMT last night IIS failed to respond to a ping and was reset, which would have caused a few mins slowness last night. I'm still checking for other things though.

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford, if it happened during a weekday then it rules out the main server backups causing the problem - I'll check out the server today and see if I can find anything happening around midnight.

edit: at 2:13AM GMT last night IIS failed to respond to a ping and was reset, which would have caused a few mins slowness last night. I'm still checking for other things though.
I am at -8 Zulu time I have the problem when I check in during the week at around 9am to 11am - 12 am at -8 Zulu time I experience lag issues when loading I dont know but if a lot of people who are having the same problem I have it on other sites besides W7 it might have ot do with behind the sceen stuff on W7 if that makes sence ???

but 11am to 12pm -8 Zulu time is when i experience this issue with W7

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
July 20th at appx 5am Atlantic Time (3am Central) the site was slow loading for a few mins then it worked perfectly fine afterwards.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look at the logs for these times and see what has been happening :)

Reaction score
Ian is there a link between W7Forums and TechieHQ. Ive just noticed that both sites was slow to respond. Time is 6:15PM(11:15PM UTC).

Could it be an international issue seeing how other sites loaded fine.

Reaction score
Both sites are acting the same way. When one started loading faster so did the other site

P.S. - Sites started loading fine around 8:15PM(1:15AM UTC)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's hosted with www.theplanet.com, and both sites are on the same server. How long does it take to load a page when this happens, is it just a little sluggish or does it take over 10 secs to load?

I've had a good look through the logs but can't see anything which would cause this. It seems to last for quite a long time though, so I'll need to try and fix it :)

Reaction score
TechieHQ.net didnt want to load at all. W7Forums didnt want to load the New Post or Todays Post. Strange loading the profiles and not the post. Oh and the post loaded from within the profiles too.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Eek that's not good at all, I will add some extra monitors and see what happens. I did note that IIS was reset at 2:11AM GMT due to a problem with the service, so I will trace that problem as I assume it must be related to this.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like it could just be that the server isn't powerful enough - I might need to swap things around, as I've seen some lag on the site today. I'll keep you all posted :)

Reaction score
I use a linux server and have never had any problems related to the server itself. The only downtime I had was related directly to a power outage. I didn't even think about the server til the next day.

Reaction score
I use a linux server and have never had any problems related to the server itself. The only downtime I had was related directly to a power outage. I didn't even think about the server til the next day.
Doesn't matter what you are using if you are using hardware that doesn't support the volume of traffic a site gets.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've found the problem now, but I'm not going to be able to fix it until there's low traffic on the server. One of the sites on the same server has a table on the database that keeps getting locked (using MYSIAM), so I'm going to convert it to INNODB. However, that is going to take a lot of processing power so I'll do it when the server traffic is low :)

Reaction score
running a website about windows 7 and you aren't using ms sql server? ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
running a website about windows 7 and you aren't using ms sql server? ;)
I wish I was ;) The forum software isn't compatible with MSSQL, so I've had to go for MySQL - although I am running IIS as the webserver :)

Reaction score
ahh, i've never used vbulletin from the server side of things so i didn't know what db's it supports. I've only used phpbb.

Reaction score
I just recieved these two errors same time everyday I have troubles
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\w7forums.com\httpdocs\includes\class_core.php on line 408
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\techiehq.net\httpdocs\includes\class_core.php on line 408

Ask a Question