Server Speed

Reaction score
I've found the problem now, but I'm not going to be able to fix it until there's low traffic on the server. One of the sites on the same server has a table on the database that keeps getting locked (using MYSIAM), so I'm going to convert it to INNODB. However, that is going to take a lot of processing power so I'll do it when the server traffic is low :)
Or you could temporarily take the site down. When I take mine down I direct all traffic to an error message I store on a free hosting service basically telling people that the problem was expected and we will be back soon.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've tweaked the MySQL and xcache configurations this morning to see if that helps the server load, and if not I'll go for a more powerful server and migrate some sites over :)

Or you could temporarily take the site down. When I take mine down I direct all traffic to an error message I store on a free hosting service basically telling people that the problem was expected and we will be back soon.
I've managed to convert all but one of the tables (a huge one) to innodb overnight, so I'm going to see how that works out along with the changes this morning. If worst comes to worst I might need to take the site offline for a few hours at some point.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford, I'll fix that now. I made it so that the automatic discussion threads wouldn't show up there (as there isn't any content to the initial article discussion thread), but it doesn't really make sense as people can comment on them and would expect to see them in that list.

Should be sorted in 2 mins :)

Reaction score
just courious would a poweredge 2500sc be able to run a site liek this ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
just courious would a poweredge 2500sc be able to run a site liek this ?
I'm not sure what the specs of that server are, but the one currently powering the site is a Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz, 2GB Ram and 2 x 73GB SCSI disks. It's a mid range server and seems to be holding up ok since some tweaks were made last week :)

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the specs of that server are, but the one currently powering the site is a Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz, 2GB Ram and 2 x 73GB SCSI disks. It's a mid range server and seems to be holding up ok since some tweaks were made last week :)
WOW almost my 500sc is a 2.6Ghz but dual proc along with 2Ghz ram ( have liek 6 unchecked ecc 1G sticks, two 320 scsi along with a single IDE to run windows server 2000. I am new to running servers and wish I could get hands on W7 server :(

Well I might just through it out if any one who is experienced in running servers want to mentor me in operations and set up I am a fast learner and could really use the help.....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I might just through it out if any one who is experienced in running servers want to mentor me in operations and set up I am a fast learner and could really use the help.....
If you make a new thread outlining what you'd like to do with your server (i.e. hosting websites, file server, etc...) and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just as an update to the server speeds, I've been monitoring it over the last few days and the server seems to lag at 12AM and 2AM every night. Yesterday I found out what was causing the 2AM lag and put steps in place to fix that, which seem to have worked (it was one of the scheduled tasks in a vbulletin forum mod).

I just need to find out what is causing the midnight CPU spike and then it should be problem free :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server loads are still high, so I've got a new server and I'm spreading the sites over :) This should speed the site up considerably during the day :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the same server again, but there will be much less on it :) A dual Xeon 3.2, 2GB Ram, 2x73GB SCSI disks.

The old server went down today for about an hour tonight (1AM GMT here), so it can't arrive soon enough. It looks like there is a HUGE spike in load at midnight each day so it should be better tomorrow once I've moved some sites over. :)

Sorry about this folks!

Reaction score
I thought the downtime was you moving the files over. But I'm glad to hear you got a new server. If your keeping the old one maybe you can make one of them a database server and the other one the actual webserver. That would balance the load over two servers.

Reaction score
I wasn't going to say anything at first. I decided if there was a problem with the server, I should report it. W7Forums and TechieHQ around 12:00AM to 1:00AM UTC did not want to load for me at all. IE8 timed out several times while attempting.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford, I'll check the server logs later on today and see if anything happened then :)

Reaction score
Received an error again today
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\w7forums.com\httpdocs\includes\class_core.php on line 408
Same time as before, I noticed abit of a slow spell yesterday same time but didn't result in an error.

6:11 PM Central Time
12:11 AM UTC

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
I think it may be time to move the server somewhere else.
The planet seems to have slow spells a lot with a lot of people.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll check this server problem out on Monday and see what I can find :) Posting the exact time like that is a huge help and as I can look up the problem in the server logs very quickly

Ask a Question