Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As has been mentioned in the "Slow Forum" thread, I'm going to move W7Forums on to a new server very soon. While the move is in progress, I'll need to disable the forums - but this should only take a few moments.

I'll post again once the site is on the new host :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I should also mention that the speed boost may not be evident until you are viewing the new server, which may take 24 hours to resolve via your nameservers. At the moment, most of you will be reading this on the old server which is in sync with the new one (so no posts will be lost). :)

Reaction score
Awesome news thanks Ian

I am very glad I found this win7 forums site it has really helped me in just 2 weeks already I can see the positive system changes I have made following that tips and tweaks read yesterday Ian that was such an interesting read I got a lot from that.
have a great day Ian & readers
respectfully
jeffreyobrien

fast work Ian! Well done.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I am very glad I found this win7 forums site it has really helped me in just 2 weeks already I can see the positive system changes I have made following that tips and tweaks read yesterday Ian that was such an interesting read I got a lot from that.
have a great day Ian & readers
respectfully
jeffreyobrien

Welcome to the forum Jeffrey.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought I'd update this thread with the current situation regarding the server. :)

It currently has Windows 2008 R2 x64 installed, however there has been an incompatibility with some software needed to optimize serving the PHP files on the server. I've been so busy all week trying to troubleshoot the problem and I've had a test server working for a week which has been much more stable (and is with another hosting company that makes things much easier to manage).

I'm going to switch the site over to the new server in the next 24hours, but there shouldn't be more than a few mins downtime - and I'll try and do it when no-one is online. I doubt anyone will notice the move ;)

This won't result in noticable speed increase (the current server is still much faster than the previous one), as the new server is of identical specifications... but it will be much more stable. You may not have noticed any problems when browsing the site, but there are lots of errors being thrown up at the server end.

I'll post back here once the switch is completed. Once it's done, I'll be back to posting more regularly again. I've really been scratching my head over the current server issue, so I'm very pleased to have it sorted!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've now moved the database over to the new server and it is in sync :). Phew, that was easy :D

Ask a Question