Second Internal HDD Suggestions?

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a second internal HDD, 500G minimum.
SSD would cost a fortune so that's out of the question.
Who's the best all purpose, WD?
Wouldn't need more power would I?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Depends on your configuration, but I have a HPE model and it has four internal hard drives, 3 regular old kind and one SSD. It's still juiced by the same PSU, no problems.

WD drives are pretty good in general.

Reaction score
Who's the best all purpose, WD?
It's probably a coin toss, when comparing HDD manufacturers drive quality. You can consider me lucky if you want but I have not had a drive go bad on its own in the last 10 years. I have had limited dealings with Hitachi, Maxtor, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba, and Western Digital. Non of which has been labeled as bad drives.

I've only dealt with three bad hard drive within the last 10 years.
  1. One was DOA and had to be sent back for a replacement. Tried formating the drive several time and couldn't seem to get the job done.
  2. One was killed when the power connector plugged in upside down, my fault as I should have been paying more attention. Turned out the plug was a bit smaller which allowed for it to plug in either way.
  3. The other drive was working perfect until I opened Disk Manager (Windows 7 Beta time period) and created a fifth primary partition. I did receive a message stating if I continued then older OS's may not be able to interpret the drive partitions. I was not expecting to be completely shutout of using the drive. I actually blame myself for crashing the drive by using partitioning software from a Beta OS, but it was Microsoft's format tool that rendered my drive unusable. I tried everything I could think of to recover the drive, but afterward I physically damaged the drive which halted my efforts.
There was one external drive I was having corruption issues with. After several formats trying to fix the issue, it turns out partitioning the drive with two partitions corrected the problem. Don't ask me how that worked, all I know is afterward I was using the drive internally for my main OS and never had any problems. I even returned the drive back to a single partition and placed it back in the external case, the drive still works flawless.

I have since come to the conclusion that when a drive starts showing signs of becoming bad, it really doesn't mean anything at all. It's when you can't get the drive to stop showing signs of becoming bad, is when you should consider the signs believable.

Reaction score
I've been a long time fan of Seagate drives, ever since my HP retail PC days. I've never had one of those drives go bad. In fact I'm using my two old HP drives now as backup and storage drives in my custom rig.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'll end up with either Seagate or WD, kinda leaning towards a WD Black.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on what you plan to use the drive for. For basic storage any Green would work fine, but if you plan to use the drive as your OS drive then you will want a full speed model like the Blacks for better system responsiveness.

Ask a Question