Seagate Goflex drive not showing in my computer

Reaction score
I have a problem with Seagate Goflex 500gb - it worked ok in my old pc and still works with my laptop also with Windows 7 64 bit. My new pc is also running Windows 7 64 bit, but my drive does not show in my computer. It shows in device manager and the drivers are up to date. I tried to assign a drive letter to the drive, but the error message "THE OPERATIONS FAILED TO COMPLETE BECAUSE THE DISK MANAGEMENT CONSOL VIEW IS NOT UP-TO-DATE. REFRESH THE VIEW BY USING THE REFRESH TASK. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS CLOSE THE DISK MANAGEMENT CONSOLE, THEN RESTART DISK MANAGEMENT OR RESTART THE COMPUTER." Tried refreshing and also restarted the computer, but still the same error message appears. Please can anyone help?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Was it ever plugged into an Xbox? An Xbox changes the file structure so it can't be used on a computer.

Your best bet is to contact Seagate support.

Reaction score
Was it ever plugged into an Xbox? An Xbox changes the file structure so it can't be used on a computer.

Your best bet is to contact Seagate support.
Thank you for your reply - no my drive was never connected to an X-box. I just bought a new computer and thought it would be just a case of plugging it in - but no.

Reaction score
It may be a problem with the file structure. It probably using the FAT 32 file system along with your XP machine where as you new laptop is using the NTFS file system. Is this a new portable hard drive or a few years old.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you check something please.

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.

Now look under sections "Disk Drives" & "Storage Volumes", maybe even "Portable Devices" & "Storage Controllers" for any unknown devices. If you find one then you are missing a driver. Some devices use more than one.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply - it is showing in device manager asSeagate Goflex drive, the device driver is up to date etc.

This drive is just a little over 1 year old. My other drive (back up) La Cie is about 5 years old and shows up in the C: drive no problem. It is absolutely baffling why it will not work.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you see any unknown devices under "Storage Volumes" when using View > Show Hidden Devices?

If you have no unknown devices then I still recommend your best option is to contact Seagate support.

Reaction score
Thanks once again for your prompt reply - no there are no unknown devices showing - looks like I will have to contact Seagate. You have been extremely helpful in replying.

Ask a Question