Seagate FreeAgent Backup Drive Not Displaying Under My Computer

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB external drive which is currently connected to my computer and working fine.

I recently purchased another external driver same as above but with 3TB.

When I plugged it in it automatically installed and said hardware found and is ready to use.

So I went to My Computer to find it but it doesn't display the 3TB drive. It only displays my 2TB drive.

If I look under Devices it lists two Seagate external drives.

When I go to my Backup Manager Program it tells me there are 2 drives to select for backup but one is UNKNOWN. That is my 3TB drive.

Does anyone know why it's not showing up on My Computer? I want to be able to click on the drive and chek my files once I've backed up.

Thanks.

[EDIT] I just found out that you can't run two of the same drives at the same time. I pulled my 2TB drive out and plugged the 3TB drive in and it comes up automatically. What a pain if I want to transfer files from my 2TB onto my 3TB drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've heard some scuttle butt about this, with multiple external usb hdd's. For me, I would consider a hard drive enclosure and install a particular brand of hard drives and then connect via usb and either install some sort of home server software for backups or a plain back up software with automation built in for set it and forget on a daily, weekly backups. Or get one of those prebuilt home media servers for back ups, HP has a nice one.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is worth a shot to try: plug in both drives and then type DISKMGMT.MSC into the start search box and see if you can't select, then right-click on the unknown drive and assign it a drive letter.

Reaction score
@ TrainableMan
I tried what you suggested but I can't select it because it doesn't show up at all in the list.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should be logged on to an Administrator account.
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
Double click on Computer Management
Double click on Disk Management
If the unknown drive is listed there then right-click and assign it a drive letter.

Reaction score
I too have a problem with Seagate Goflex 500gb - it worked ok in my old pc and still works with my laptop also with Windows 7 64 bit. My new pc is also running Windows 7 64 bit, but my drive does not show in my computer. It shows in device manager and the drivers are up to date. I tried to assign a drive letter to the drive, but the error message "THE OPERATIONS FAILED TO COMPLETE BECAUSE THE DISK MANAGEMENT CONSOL VIEW IS NOT UP-TO-DATE. REFRESH THE VIEW BY USING THE REFRESH TASK. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS CLOSE THE DISK MANAGEMENT CONSOLE, THEN RESTART DISK MANAGEMENT OR RESTART THE COMPUTER." Tried refreshing and also restarted the computer, but still the same error message appears. Please can anyone help?

Ask a Question