Same favorites multiple PCs

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have finally got my W7 installation up and running. I have a shared network drive and would like to have a shared favorites folder that can be accessed by a number of PCs on a home network. Mixed XPPro and W7. I had though about running SyncToy or similar to maintain the folder however it would be ideal to use one folder for all favorites.

Is this possible in Windows? and how to achieve if it is possible.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For Internet Explorer I believe this will do what you need ...

search the registry under section HKEY_Users for %USERPROFILE%\Favorites (you will find several, one per S-1-5-##, under software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders) and replace them with your common IE favorites drive\path\folder (I would leave the one under .Default alone). Then reboot.

I don't know what will happen if multiple people try to update the folder though - you may get locking errors etc.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Rikki7 - Congratulations on getting your system up and running.

Were you able to get it working finally in a RAID configuration?

Reaction score
Trainable Man,

I'll give your advice a try, thanks. Not sure about conflicts due to multiple users.

Nibiru2012,

Eventually gave up on the RAID0 primary idea and installed on a single new WD velociraptor drive. The Samsung drives I had in the set were new too however the configuration didn't appear to be stable. Not sure what I was doing incorrectly, most likely something driver related. The MB manuals could be improved with more detailed directions, in particular in relation to advice regarding simultaneously utilising the mutliple RAID options due to different chips on the board. I also ended up installing a 1.5TB RAID 1 set on the marvel chip on this board which also appears to be working.

Since I had to perform multiple installs I decided to download an upgrade to Acronis True Image Home 10 that I had a prior version license for. Just have an image that I could install from since to reinstall I had to download updates etc off the internet. So after installing and backing the OS up to a partition I found that the boot up disc process failed due to "This kernel requires an i99083923886 CPU, but only detected an x86-64 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU". The term steep learning curve appears to be sticking close and I guess that to sort out the Acronis issue will necessitate time here and on the Acronis forums. So stayed tuned for threads relating to this matter.

thanks for now.

Rikki27

Ask a Question