SOLVED Replace HD & DVD drive

Reaction score
Hi Guy's plse be gentle newbie first post:) Can anyone plse give me some pointers? I want to replace my HD and cd/dvd drive. I would like to use my copy of Windows original disk?(W7 64bit SP1) to remove them was very easy too easy:D

what is my first thought apart from which one to buy? My MB is AsusTek M4A77T/USB3 Rev X.0x PS.750 W. Proc.AMD Athlon II x2 250.
Any thoughts much appreciated

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off DVD Rom drives are simple to replace, the hardest part is usually removing the desktop face plate & opening up the case. Unplug the SATA cable and the power cable from the back of the DVD-Rom. Next, if it has rails then you slide it out, otherwise just remove the screws and slide it out. If it has rails move them to the new drive. Slide it in and screw it in (or make sure it locks in place for rail system). Reattach the SATA cable and the power cable to the back.

Before you remove a hard drive you should back up your data & you also want to make sure you have your Windows Product Key - if it is not on a label or with the W7 DVD then it is possible to get it from the OS while it is still working (easiest way I know to get the key is with freeware software SIW).

Physically replacing the hard drive is usually just as simple as the DVD-Rom. However, if the drive is still good, you have the space inside (an extra bay), an available SATA connection from the motherboard, and a power connector from the power supply then you may want to consider keeping the old drive and just adding the new one as a secondary.

Do you plan to clone the old drive or perform a fresh install? If doing a fresh install then simply pop it out and put in the other one, put the case back together, boot up with the W7 DVD in the DVD-Rom drive and install.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, is there any point in replacing the HD like for like i.e. have just removed Western Digital or does it matter , does the same apply to the DVD/CD drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I like Seagate & Western Digital but brands are interchangeable. For a desktop I go with 7200 RPM rather than the slower 5400 and if you want faster I would go solid state drive (SSD) before I would spent money on a velociraptor (10,000 RPM)

So far, I have stayed under 2TB on my OS drive and avoided the added hassle of needing extra drivers. SSD drivers aren't included in the W7 OS either and I have been considering changing my OS over to one of those so at some point I will probably have to deal with extra drivers on installation but so far with W7 I haven't.

As for a DVD-Rom burner, for a desktop internal I get a 24X OEM version for under US$20 (I don't have/need blu-ray because everything is going digital but if you need it, that runs around US$65). I'm sure you can order a DVD-Rom burner under 20 pounds from eBay.UK or a British online merchant (triple that if you want BD-Rom).

The truth is, with either component my experience has been that they are:
1) dead immediately (DOA) and have to be returned or
2) they are weird immediately (strange noises or high temperatures) and end up only lasting 6 months to 2 years or
3) everything works, feels, and sounds great and they last for 5 years or more.

Reaction score
Many thanks TrainableMan, in particular No.2:( I have just found this Forum don't no why I missed it. I will be back;)

Ask a Question