Recent updates have given me first W7 BSOD

Reaction score
Guess who has W7 problems?

Okay, I try to update my W7 weekly. This last week, I went to look and I saw 10+ updates that needed to be installed. I did so. Rebooted, and went on with my day.

I tried opening photoshop and the screen froze, could not ctrl alt del or anything. I shut my pc down manually. Then it sat on the motherboard splash screen for 5-7 minutes, then it booted up. I thought, okay it was a freak accident.

(I wish I had the minidumps enabled before, so I could post them here)

Later that same day, I tried launching a few games, and the same thing happened. Today I was trying to launch some simple apps and it also froze.

And then after I pressed ctrl alt del a few times, I got my first W7 BSOD.

Now, by now you all know I have my big share of problems with W7, but I have never had a BSOD or completely frozen system.

Here is a screenshot of my most recent W7 updates.

Here are the CPU-Z screenshots.

Here is the RAMMON HTML File - http://www.mediafire.com/file/q9b6xpo45o4wzdo/RAMMon - SPD Info.html
(Here is the Jotti Virus scan report on the file )

Here is the Driverview HTML File - http://www.mediafire.com/file/qcvanswc5o1w6q8/report.html
(Here is the Jotti Virus scan report on the file )

How should I proceed with uninstalling these updates? I don't think I have ever uninstalled Windows updates. I don't want to mess things up further.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Although I seriously doubt it is a W7 Update problem (unless it was a recommended update, such as a driver, rather than a critical)...
Control Panel\Programs and features ... Installed Updates, although some updates can not be removed. Best to remove them in reverse order newest to oldest.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You might try cleaning things up with CCleaner then using the Registry Cleaner / Fixer in CCleaner too. A lot of times that will correct the problem.

Have you tried defragging the drive also? Sometimes when the update is done, it's placed way out of sequence and may cause issues.

Reaction score
You might try cleaning things up with CCleaner then using the Registry Cleaner / Fixer in CCleaner too. A lot of times that will correct the problem.

Have you tried defragging the drive also? Sometimes when the update is done, it's placed way out of sequence and may cause issues.
I will try running CCleaner now, I did defrag the drive 3-4 days after I installed the updates.

JMH

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Generic {warning} advice....re Registry Cleaners.

If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you would probably be better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.

In other words, injudicious use of "Registry cleaners" has been known to cause problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
CCleaner is an excellent product, other registry cleaners may not be safe but CCleaner has been used by myself hundreds of times as well as by most of the regulars here and we highly recommend it.

It is listed in our Freeware DB and probably one of the most common pieces of software we recommend here.

CCleaner offers to back up every registry change it will make prior to making them and every user should take advantage of that option to protect themselves. With the change file if you double-click on it it and give authorization to change the registry it will immediately restore all the changes it made.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
True words from TM. However, Ccleaner is being updated rather often of late, and it is worth looking through the latest mods in the customisation, before using it. If it is a first time install, it will normally inform you of the latest changes. For example, this is the list for thwe last release:

Updated to Version 3.10.1525
Release Notes:
Added Firefox 7.0 Beta support.
Added Firefox 6.0 Final support.
Added IE 9.0.2 support.
Added Safari 5.1 binarycookies file cleaning and management.
Added cleaning for MS Search, Cached Fonts, RegEditX, SpeedBit DAP, Spyware Terminator, SUPERAntiSpyware, Acrobat Distiller 10 and Foxit Reader 5.0.
Improved cleaning for Internet Download Accelerator.
Improved Opera 9 Last Download Location cleaning.
Improved accuracy and reliability for free space and entire drive wiping.
Improved Safari local storage cleaning.
Improved Google Chrome "Saved Form Information" and "Saved Passwords" cleaning.
Updated various translations.
Minor optimization tweaks.

It's the last line which would bother me - lol. "minor" covers quite a field!
But apparently, Errormagnet, you are familiar with the cleaner. It is, as you know, quite a bit more than a registry cleaner.As Niburu indicates, the reg cleaner, alone, is selectable from the menu.

P.S. (Later) Ok Just given the latest Ccleaner update a whirl - with my trusty Acronis images handy. Indications are that it is assocuiated wit the MS Firewall, which I have disabled, but it totalled my Ms Media Centre and player. Back on with my image and tried again, unticking the "obsolete" software which is one of the Ccleaner options in the registry cleanup. - No problems.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
P.S. (Later) Ok Just given the latest Ccleaner update a whirl - with my trusty Acronis images handy. Indications are that it is assocuiated wit the MS Firewall, which I have disabled, but it totalled my Ms Media Centre and player. Back on with my image and tried again, unticking the "obsolete" software which is one of the Ccleaner options in the registry cleanup. - No problems.
Why didn't you just restore the registry settings from CCleaners backup? Would be a lot faster than restoring an entire HD image.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I ran the whole Ccleaner for the test. I didn't care to examine what may have been deleted so , with ten minutes to spare (lol) it was easier to rstore the image. I don not use Cleaner, asd a regular habit, it was just curiosity. Curiosity is satisfied!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you run the whole registry cleaner part and you allow it to back up the registry changes before making them then if you run that .reg file it simply adds them back into our registry, at which point you would be back where you were before you ran it and you could try again unchecking an option or two.

I must admit I have had obsolete software unchecked for ages now so each version I install remembers my settings but I have added that as a note under the CCleaner thread.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"If you run the whole registry cleaner part and you allow it to back up the registry changes .."

Naturally, I am aware of that.

To repeat - I ran the whole Ccleaner to test it - no problem.

Reaction score
well fellas, I had surgery again, and I am on bed rest, so I cannot test out your suggestions on my desktop. But I will when I can get back to my normal routine, thanks so much.

Ask a Question