re-installing Windows 7 on Acer

Reaction score
I`ve just bought an Acer that has OEM Windows 7 64-bit. After I brought it up, I found that I have some applications that can only run in 32 bit mode. Question: I know I need to go through a re-install in order to change into 32 bit, but how can I
re-install Windows 7, since the laptop doesn`t come with Windows CDs?

Thanks!
Ben

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you saying that the 32 bit applications would not run at all? I have found that over 95% of the 32 bit software will run on Windows 7 x64.

Which applications are there that are not working?

It does install a "Programs Folder (x86)" on the C drive. That is so the x86 or 32 bit applications will run.

You might also try the "Compatibility Mode" option to see if that helps.

Reaction score
The s/w having problems is a boat charting s/w that requires interfacing to a GPS. It`s known to have problems with 64 bit. Going into program mode and selecting 32 bit doesn`t help. So I need to run it with a 32 bit O/S.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes you can re-install Windows 7 x86 (32 Bit) on your laptop.

You do have have your product key for the Windows 7 OS? The key is good for either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Remember though, one install per key only!

What version of Windows 7 is it? More than likely it is the Home Premium version.

Do you have access to a DVD burner and any blank DVD discs?

Send me a PM I'll be available until 3:40PM CST.

Reaction score
Yes there`s a product key (on the bottom of the laptop).
The laptop comes with a DVD burner.
So I need to create the Windows 7 DVD? How do I do that?

Thanks
Ben

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]It's about a 2.3GB download. It's an ISO image file. You'll need ImgBurn to burn the ISO image to the DVD. Burn the DVD at no more than 4x burn speed. Then have ImgBurn verify the burn against the ISO image file.

ImgBurn is a free program for burning and creating ISO files.

You will have to reformat your hard drive partition and do a clean install because you're changing from x64 to x86 OS.

Then go ahead and install and put in your product key. Also be sure you have downloaded all the 32 bit drivers for your laptop so you can install them, if needed.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I followed the procedure and it all worked out...almost. I created another sector on my laptop, and installed the downloaded Windows 7 on the new partition. However it shows up as another Windows 7 Home Premium, looking the same as my original Windows 7 64 bit. I had assumed that it would indicate somewhere that it's 32 bit as opposed to 64 bit. Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Ben

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
First of all, you can't have two installs on your laptop of the OS. You should not have created another sector/partition on the hard drive.

ONE INSTALL PER PRODUCT KEY ONLY!

You should wipe all the sectors/partitions off the hard drive and only make two partitions; one to install the OS to, about 32 to 48GB in size will be fine. The other partition to place files, photos, audio and such, downloads too.

Do a CLEAN (custom install) of the 32 bit OS and you'll be fine.

This is how I have my hard drives set up: C & E are one 500GB hard drive and F & G are one 500GB hard drive; both partitioned as you see here. Drive I is one of my external USB hard drives. You don't see my D drive, that's my DVD-RW burner drive.

Last edited:

Ask a Question