Ran Sysprep and computer won't start.

Reaction score
Pls I am in dire need of help.
I ran sysprep on my laptop that I hve been using for about a yr. It restarted and can't go pass the message "Setup is starting services". A dialog box popsup with the message "Windows could not finish configurating the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."
For hundred and oneth time that I hve restarted it ends at this stage.
Is there some way I cam fix this without having to reinstsall windows7?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Will it let you boot to safe mode? If you can get to safe mode then restore to a restore point prior to your running of sysprep.

Reaction score
Thank you Trainableman.
It does not let me boot to safe mode. However, I created a win7 startup disk and tried to use restore point but no restore point could be found, then I tried repairing the OS, that failed as well
I hv also used windows preinstalled environment: my intention was to replace a few files so the what had been done by the sysprep so far could be undone, but had no idea which files to play with, so I met no success there.
So, are there some files we can mess around with to fix this issue, or does any body have another idea that can save me from his calamity?
Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would probably just back up all the data (for example with Windows Easy Transfer that comes with W7) and then reinstall. Maybe someone who is familiar with Sysprep will come along with some other ideas but that's what I would do.

To my understanding the purpose of Sysprep is to create an image that can then be installed on multiple machines, for example to perform a mass company roll-out of Windows 7. So I'm not sure you would run it on your laptop unless you were trying to back it up or move everything to a new computer, in which case I would go with imaging software like Macrium reflect Free etc or Windows Backup before trying something as complex as Sysprep.

Reaction score
Yea, I am saving the backing up and reinstalling as last resort.

Well, now I know better, trying things like sysprep on my laptop, when have virtual Pcs I have created for study purposes.
Lets hope someone comes up with an Idea soon without which I will have to reinstall W7. I am sure that Windows Easy Transfer will be very handy. thanks again TrainableMan.

Ask a Question