SOLVED RAM lag figures

Reaction score
I've never been sure what the lag figures mean for RAM, i know mine are 8-8-8-20 but have no idea what that means, can anyone tell me?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
See this from Wikipedia:

Memory timings (or RAM timings) refer collectively to a set of four numerical parameters called CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS, commonly represented as a series of four numbers separated with dashes, in that respective order (e.g. 5-5-5-15). However, it is not unusual for tRAS to be omitted, or for a fifth value, the Command rate, to be added on. It also remains a common practice to advertise only CL. These parameters define, in clock cycles, the various forms of latency (responsiveness to random requests) that affect fundamental performance metrics of random access memory. Lower ("tight") timings imply better performance.

Modern DIMMs include a Serial Presence Detect (SPD) RAM that contains recommended memory timings for automatic configuration. The BIOS on a PC may allow the user to make adjustments in an effort to increase performance (with possible risk of decreased stability) or, in some cases, to increase stability (by lowering performance).

Memory timings are distinct from memory bandwidth; the latter measures the throughput of memory. It is possible for an advance in memory technology to increase both bandwidth (an apparent performance improvement) and latency (an apparent performance degradation). For example, DDR memory has been superseded by DDR2, and yet DDR2 has significantly higher latency at the same clock frequencies. However, DDR2 can be clocked faster, decreasing its cycle time; DDR2 clocked significantly higher than DDR also has lower latency (in nanoseconds) than DDR.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Not necessarily... depends on the type of RAM and it's clock speed.

Usually DDR3 will have faster clock speed and higher settings.

Each type of RAM and it's clock speed will vary on the settings.

Do a little research on it and you'll see what I mean.

This is a Snip of what my RAM looks like:

As you can see, the same RAM at different clock speeds has different timings.
To go into depth about it is quite time consuming so to save forum space I'll just leave it at that.
Like I said, just do some research on your own.

Ask a Question