SOLVED RAM Issues

Reaction score
I hope this fall into this category. I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 32 bit. I decided at that time to also upgrade from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM. I purchased 2 2GB sticks and installed them, but my system only registers 2GB RAM installed. I know you want my system specs, so here goes: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.0o GHz. My mobo is an MSI K9A2GM-FIH and my video card is an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS(soon to be upgraded). If I left anything out let me know. My old memory was Kingston ValueRam 2GB 800MHz DDR2 CL6 DIMM Desktop Memory and I replaced it with 2-2GB PC2-6400 800MHz 240 pin DDR2 DIMM. Upon installing the new RAM, my system only registered 2GB of RAM installed. So I decided to troubleshoot and see if one of the sticks was bad. When there was only one stick in my machine, it would not boot up. I have to have both sticks in to get my system to boot. I reset my CMOS, but I still get the same results. I came to the conclusion that these are only 1GB sticks, but I want to make sure that there's not something wrong with my system or something I haven't done properly. Appreciate your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The easiest way to tell what your computers sees is to install the freeware CPU-Z. Then run it and take a screenshot of the Memory tab, and then screenshots of the two slots under SPD tab that show your chips.

Also, your motherboard has 2 different colored RAM slots, use just one color.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And yes if each slot shows 1GB then you likely got someones return item. People sometimes swap out 2x1GB and return them in the box of their new 2x2GB for a refund; if return clerk doesn't catch it it can end up right back out for sale.

Reaction score
So I decided to troubleshoot and see if one of the sticks was bad. When there was only one stick in my machine, it would not boot up.
Just to clarify, you tried booting both sticks independently? And neither one would boot the machine until both sticks were used together?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Annie we see you quoting what Clifford said but we didn't get a Yes or No.

It would be extremely weird that neither stick would boot by itself in Slot 1 but if one did and one didn't then the trouble could be a single bad stick. Very common issue with new RAM.

Reaction score
Yes, Clifford, that's exactly what I did and yes it would only boot with both sticks back in.

TrainableMan, do you have a different program besides the CPU-Z. That program has so many bugs in it that my virus program shut it down and then shut down my computer and that was trying to download through CNet. Then I even tried going to their website, but I got bombarded with popup windows and I have my popup blocker on. Major malware and spyware. Had to run scans just to get back on the net. You did bring up an issue about my mobo tho. I had wondered if I should skip a slot, although it's not what my mobo manual showed. I didn't try, since I couldn't get the machine to boot on one stick, I didn't think it would make a difference. The original stick was a 2gb stick and had no problem booting my system. Surely thought either one of the would too. I will be returning them and then I'm going to buy another to match my original stick.

I thank you for your help. I honestly don't think it's anything to do with my system. I've got an RMA for the sticks and they're going back.

Reaction score
Sorry for the first reply to Clifford. My machine is still glitching and getting interfering popup windows. I hope my second reply helped answer all your questions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since you only have 32-bit, keeping the 2x1GB you have and buying another matching pair is not a bad idea. You still end up with 4GB, just by using all the slots , and it should save you money.

CPU-Z is a very good product. It does not even include any extra "stuff" like ads, or other software to make money. If your A/V considers it harmful then I question your antivirus software. Does the warning actually come from your anti-virus software or do you have a browser add-on such as "web-of-trust". I'm not a fan of such add-ons because they routinely add common download sites to their "unsafe" list rather than checking each specific files.

I downloaded the latest version and installed it just tonight to check if anything had changed. I scanned it with F-Protect and Malwarebytes and I installed it and it works perfectly.

Reaction score
Sorry for the first reply to Clifford. My machine is still glitching and getting interfering popup windows. I hope my second reply helped answer all your questions.
Since you only have 32-bit, keeping the 2x1GB you have and buying another matching pair is not a bad idea. You still end up with 4GB, just by using all the slots , and it should save you money.

CPU-Z is a very good product. It does not even include any extra "stuff" like ads, or other software to make money. If your A/V considers it harmful then I question your antivirus software. Does the warning actually come from your anti-virus software or do you have a browser add-on such as "web-of-trust". I'm not a fan of such add-ons because they routinely add common download sites to their "unsafe" list rather than checking each specific files.

I downloaded the latest version and installed it just tonight to check if anything had changed. I scanned it with F-Protect and Malwarebytes and I installed it and it works perfectly.
I went from the link you posted and I just spent the last 15 minutes removing spyware, malware and trojans from my computer. Would like to know where you downloaded from, because it sent me to CNET, whom I normally download from and ended up with infections. I couldn't even click on a link on here w/o popup windows from that occurred from trying to install. Not trying to make you mad, just relaying what happened to me.

Reaction score
Probably for the best that you are returning them, sounds to me those modules are not functioning properly.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
The author host their own files, the links shouldn't be sending you to CNET.

BTW, I hate CNET because of the very thing you are complaining about. If at all possible I avoid CNET like a plague.

Reaction score
Ok, got CPU-Z installed, after declining all the junk that came with the download. Here are the screenshots.
Memory read out.jpg
SPD.jpg

Reaction score
Probably for the best that you are returning them, sounds to me those modules are not functioning properly.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
The author host their own files, the links shouldn't be sending you to CNET.

BTW, I hate CNET because of the very thing you are complaining about. If at all possible I avoid CNET like a plague.
I will too from now on. Wow what junk, just to get something.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
CNET started wrapping crap with their downloads, best to go to the source.

Reaction score

That would be a good idea about the sticks, but I'm going to take my system up to the 64 bit OS and would like to eventually get up to 8GB on my system. Going to need it for my new video card and gaming.

Reaction score
Looks to me those are 2GB modules but only one is registering (slot #2). If you have a module in slot #1 that module is not registering properly.

Reaction score
Could there be a problem with my #1 Slot? It was working when I pulled the original stick out, but if I put one of these other sticks in, it doesn't seem to read them. What now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Identical sticks should go in the same color slots. And like Clifford said, there may be a problem with your Slot #1 if you have a stick in there. Try using Slots 2 & 4.

Ask a Question