Question From A Win 7 Newbie


S

smiley

I have a question for the group. I'm new to Windows 7, just got a HP Laptop
with Windows 7
Home Premium and would like to know the following.

I know that in Windows XP that when burning a cd-rom with photos, additional
files can be added
to the disc later without losing any existing material.

I currently also have a HP Desktop that runs Win XP Home/SP 3 and have been
able to
do this since I got it.

But trying to do the same in Win 7 does not work for me.

Any new files being added to the disc somehow deletes existing material on
the disc
without being able to recover them from the disc. Only the new files being
added show up.

What I would like to know is are there any setting adjustments that need to
be made in order to add files to a partially used cd-rom disc without losing
any other material.

Or is this not possible by design, and would have to use another disc.

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Worn Out Retread

smiley said:
I have a question for the group. I'm new to Windows 7, just got a HP
Laptop with Windows 7
Home Premium and would like to know the following.

I know that in Windows XP that when burning a cd-rom with photos,
additional files can be added
to the disc later without losing any existing material.

I currently also have a HP Desktop that runs Win XP Home/SP 3 and have
been able to
do this since I got it.

But trying to do the same in Win 7 does not work for me.

Any new files being added to the disc somehow deletes existing material on
the disc
without being able to recover them from the disc. Only the new files being
added show up.

What I would like to know is are there any setting adjustments that need
to
be made in order to add files to a partially used cd-rom disc without
losing any other material.

Or is this not possible by design, and would have to use another disc.

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
If I understand you, I think that you are wanting to burn a "multi-session"
disk. Make sure that the disk isn't set to be finalized when the burn is
finished.

It sounds to me like you are using re-writable disks and that the disks are
being formatted and re-written.
 
P

Parko

I have a question for the group. I'm new to Windows 7, just got a HP
Laptop with Windows 7
Home Premium and would like to know the following.

I know that in Windows XP that when burning a cd-rom with photos,
additional files can be added
to the disc later without losing any existing material.

I currently also have a HP Desktop that runs Win XP Home/SP 3 and have
been able to
do this since I got it.

But trying to do the same in Win 7 does not work for me.

Any new files being added to the disc somehow deletes existing material
on the disc
without being able to recover them from the disc. Only the new files
being added show up.

What I would like to know is are there any setting adjustments that need
to be made in order to add files to a partially used cd-rom disc without
losing any other material.

Or is this not possible by design, and would have to use another disc.

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Don't bother with Microsoft's effort. Its a blunt instrument. Have a go
at using this for your disc burning needs.
http://infrarecorder.org/
 
D

Dick Mahar

smiley said:
I have a question for the group. I'm new to Windows 7, just got a HP
Laptop with Windows 7
Home Premium and would like to know the following.

I know that in Windows XP that when burning a cd-rom with photos,
additional files can be added
to the disc later without losing any existing material.

I currently also have a HP Desktop that runs Win XP Home/SP 3 and have
been able to
do this since I got it.

But trying to do the same in Win 7 does not work for me.

Any new files being added to the disc somehow deletes existing material on
the disc
without being able to recover them from the disc. Only the new files being
added show up.

What I would like to know is are there any setting adjustments that need
to
be made in order to add files to a partially used cd-rom disc without
losing any other material.

Or is this not possible by design, and would have to use another disc.

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Use CD_RW
 
S

smiley

Worn Out Retread said:
If I understand you, I think that you are wanting to burn a
"multi-session" disk. Make sure that the disk isn't set to be finalized
when the burn is finished.

It sounds to me like you are using re-writable disks and that the disks
are being formatted and re-written.
The problem I had described happened was when I was using regular cd-r discs
which are non rewritable.

On my Win XP machine, I don't lose any material when using cd-r or cd-rw
discs
as long as there is available space on the disc.

However, the label on the spindle package of the discs that I'm
currently using say that they are music cd-r's.

Would that have made any difference and should I be using ones for data
instead?
 
D

DanS

However, the label on the spindle package of the discs that
I'm currently using say that they are music cd-r's.

Would that have made any difference and should I be using
ones for data instead?
I've got no clue as to using Windows built-in CD burning, as I
understand it's always been deficient and doesn't offer the
options of a separate burning package like Nero.

For future reference though, when burning a CD on a PC, there is
no diffeence at all between a 'DAta' CD and a 'Music' CD.

There is a part on the CD that stores the 'type' of CD, but that
is typically only used by stand-alone CD recorders or CD
duplicators.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

smiley

DanS said:
I've got no clue as to using Windows built-in CD burning, as I
understand it's always been deficient and doesn't offer the
options of a separate burning package like Nero.

For future reference though, when burning a CD on a PC, there is
no diffeence at all between a 'DAta' CD and a 'Music' CD.

There is a part on the CD that stores the 'type' of CD, but that
is typically only used by stand-alone CD recorders or CD
duplicators.
Thanks for the info, and to all of those on the group
Thanks for the imput.

I'll try again using a new cd-r disc after saving a copy of what I'm
burning to the hard drive and see if using different settings
works for me.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top