Question: Can I install Windows 7 on my Windows 10 Home PC?

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! This is my first post on Windows Seven forums, and will probably be my most lengthy post.

Like the title suggests, I was wondering if it is at all possible to install a windows 7 operating system on my windows 10 computer. If possible what I would need to do in order to complete this process? Here is a list of some additional questions if the transition from windows 10 home to windows 7 is indeed possible:

1. Do I need to backup my files somehow before transitioning? (Whether that be on an external hard drive or on a USB?)

2. I have heard that Microsoft is no longer updating windows 7 in terms of security updates and similar processes. What should I do to keep everything safe in terms of an antivirus to have etc?

3. Will doing this transition between operating systems damage my computer?

Other than that, I'd really appreciate any other information/advice you guys have to offer regarding this situation. I'm somewhat new to the world of operating systems and computers and the like, so my apologies if this isn't the format, and I apologize as well for the lengthy post.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have a newer computer that came with Windows 10 installed then it is unlikely you will ever get it working perfectly under Windows 7 because there will likely be drivers it needs to make the MOBO components work that were never written for Win 7. Unless this MOBO/Computer came with Win 7 originally then I highly discourage trying to downgrade.

But if you proceed, then yes it is recommended you do a complete backup to an external drive and you should also create system restore disks and Win 10 driver back-ups so you could go back to Win 10 if 7 does not work out.

No, changing the OS would not hurt the physical parts of the computer, but if you cannot get win 7 installed and working and if you do not have a Win 10 backup that you can restore successfully then you may have to buy Windows 10 to reinstall.

Reaction score
I am not a expert and don't know much. So take any statements I make with a grain of salt. I have a new laptop that came fresh with Windows 10 64 bit. I have some old DOS programs I use all the time with a lot of business info. on it along with banking. I wanted to put Windows 10 32 bit on it and every one said it couldn't be done. So I decided to install my windows 7 32 bit disk and see if it would install. It did install. (and worked ok) Then I decided if I could reinstall windows 10 32 bit. The only thing I see is that it is slower in booting up and browsing. So I had a couple of desktops that came with windows 7 64 bit and I had reinstalled 7 32 bit a few years ago. Knowing that Windows 7 support would end I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 32 bit and it seems to work fine. Don't see very little difference in booting up and browsing.

Ask a Question