Question about windows 7

Reaction score
Here is my problem. Please don't laugh at how gullable i was. I purchased my new HP laptop in March 2009 from Best Buy. In May, it died. Best Buy said the operating system crashed and that I would have to re-purchase windows vista from them. I did so, they had me purchase the upgrade. They installed it on my computer for me. 30 days later a message came up saying it was an unauthorized copy. I took it back to Best Buy and apparently the message came up because I purchased an upgrade copy of vista rather than the full version. They said there is nothing they can do without re-buying a full version of vista and microsoft has said the same. (I did not know that all I had to do to begin with was order the backup disk from HP). My question is this. My computer is still telling me I have an unauthorized version of Vista. The windows 7 upgrade advisor says I only need to purchase the upgrade. I don't want to buy the upgrade and have this same problem however but don't know if I can install the full version with Vista running. Help?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Without going into all the whys and wherefores about the 'need' to repurchase Vista I suggest you call into Microsoft and explain the situation to them. They are there to help you with Activation and Registration and I'm sure the will 'legitimise' your copy for you. Then you will be able to install a Win 7 uograde!

Reaction score
Here is my problem. Please don't laugh at how gullable i was. I purchased my new HP laptop in March 2009 from Best Buy. In May, it died. Best Buy said the operating system crashed and that I would have to re-purchase windows vista from them. I did so, they had me purchase the upgrade. They installed it on my computer for me. 30 days later a message came up saying it was an unauthorized copy. I took it back to Best Buy and apparently the message came up because I purchased an upgrade copy of vista rather than the full version. They said there is nothing they can do without re-buying a full version of vista and microsoft has said the same. (I did not know that all I had to do to begin with was order the backup disk from HP). My question is this. My computer is still telling me I have an unauthorized version of Vista. The windows 7 upgrade advisor says I only need to purchase the upgrade. I don't want to buy the upgrade and have this same problem however but don't know if I can install the full version with Vista running. Help?
Thanks.
I just did a clean install (full version) of W7 over Vista. No problems. The clean install is the clear choice if you have that option. The upgrade is much more prone to problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I will try that. I guess we're neighbors. I'm in Fort Worth.

Ask a Question