Questions about Windows 7 and DirectX 9,10 and 11

Reaction score
Hello

I have a long time experience with general computing and using all versions of Windows since 1998 , but one thing I just can't understand , the DirectX version

What I know is that DirectX is dependant on Windows version and hardware support , I know all that but there are stil question in my mind :

1.How to update DirectX 9,10 and 11 in Windows 7 ?
2.Do game developers "tweak" or "modify" anything in DirectX ? so if NO , Would it be a good idea of grabing the latest game released , run the included Dx setup and be done with the latest of the minute DirectX ?
3,I can find a web installer of DirectX and run it , is that enough of updating ALL componant of Direct X ? I mean 9,10 and 11 ?

And last :
4.If I do a fresh clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit , what is the one "SINGLE" tool to update everything regarding DirectX,so I would have no problem in any game(including those with directX 11 support) ?
Thanks for clarification ..

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
1.How to update DirectX 9,10 and 11 in Windows 7 ?
2.Do game developers "tweak" or "modify" anything in DirectX ? so if NO , Would it be a good idea of grabing the latest game released , run the included Dx setup and be done with the latest of the minute DirectX ?
3,I can find a web installer of DirectX and run it , is that enough of updating ALL componant of Direct X ? I mean 9,10 and 11 ?

And last :
4.If I do a fresh clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit , what is the one "SINGLE" tool to update everything regarding DirectX,so I would have no problem in any game(including those with directX 11 support) ?
Thanks for clarification ..
I am not an expert on DirectX but I do know the following:

You are correct that it is dependent on the version of Windows you have, and the hardware that supports it.

Game developers do NOT tweak the DirectX files on your system. That would be bad for tweaking for their program may break DirectX for other programs expecting unmodified files.

The best and proper way to ensure DirectX is properly updated for your version of Windows is to keep Windows updated. Therefore, the one "SINGLE" tool to update everything regarding DirectX is Windows Update.

If the installer you are referring to is this DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer, note the last line under Additional information where it says (my bold underline added),
The DirectX End-User Runtimes installer contains all of the components installed by the Web Installer in a single package and is recommended for those users that do not have an Internet connection during installation.

Reaction score
Thanks..Looks like the Windows update for DirectX is hidden behind one of those kbxxxxxxsomething update ? and that offline installer is nice shot ...
Apreciated

Edit : So can we say that a game that was released , let's say , today and it's DirectX11 game , has this exact DirectX installer http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 and nothing on top of it ?

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Looks like the Windows update for DirectX is hidden behind one of those kbxxxxxxsomething update
No doubt.

So can we say that a game that was released , let's say , today and it's DirectX11 game , has this exact DirectX installer http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109 and nothing on top of it ?
Exact? I don't know. I'm a hardware guy but I suspect that is true.

As for nothing on top, I would not know that either.

Ask a Question