SOLVED Windows 7 Question

Reaction score
On my new-to-me Dell Windows 7 laptop 64 bit I cannot open an email attachment or open a document that I have to click online to get. Instead when I click to open, up comes a blue screen with:

Extras
Pictures & Videos
Music
Movies
TV
Recorder TV
Tasks

Live TV setup

I do not want TV on my laptop now so I X out of that screen.
What am I supposed to do to be able to open an email attachment or something on line?

Thank you. Donna

Reaction score
It looks to me that for some reason your email is associated with Windows Media Center. The screen you mentioned is Windows Media Center. The only reason I know of for it to start is if there is an association with it. If you don't want Windows Media Center you can remove it by turning that feature of Windows off.
  • Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Programs and Features
  • look to the left for "Turn Windows features on or off"
  • scroll the list and look for "Media Features"
  • Take the check out of the box for "Windows Media Center"
  • Click "OK" and reboot if needed to finalize removal.
Next question would be if you have installed an application that supports the media format of the attachment? I'd need to know the attachment format before I could suggest an application or know if Windows natively supports it.

Reaction score
Clifford,

Thank you very much for your time and for your help. I got all the way down to “Media Features” and it did have a check in the box so I clicked to take out the check mark and then a warning chime rang and a “Windows Features” little window came up and said: “Turning off Media Features might affect other Windows features and programs installed on your computer, including default settings. Do you want to Continue ?

Go online to learn more YES NO”

(the YES was in blue)

Not wanting to take any chances I went on line to know more and the first one I came to (I don’t recall its name) but it sounded as if it would be okay to do it; but the next one I came to was on the DVD Maker and I think if I remove it, that I can’t put it back on by re-checking the box. It said that for Windows Ultimate which I have that:

“If you turn off Windows DVD Maker:
· You'll need to install another program if you want to burn DVD-Video discs.

· You won’t be able to burn your recorded TV programs or videos to DVD-Video discs using Windows Media Center.”

For now anyway I clicked NO in case I ever want to burn DVD-Videos.

All of your directions I followed so far were excellent and I will keep them in case I eventually decide I must follow them to the end.

As for your last paragraph on the Next Question whether I have installed an application that supports the media format of the attachment. I have not installed anything on this computer. I probably would not know enough to install anything by myself. I am not able to open any attachment that comes to my Dell computer on an incoming email. Also I cannot open a Kansas Ethics document I found online; but I can open my attachments and the Ethics document when I am on my email at the public library using my email address. So it is my computer that is the problem.

Donna Kansas I hope my reply finally gets to you.

Reaction score
As for your last paragraph on the Next Question whether I have installed an application that supports the media format of the attachment.
What is the extension used on the end of the filename? PDF, JPG, AVI, MP3, WAV, TXT, DOC, XLS, etc... are common extensions.

Once we know what file is needed to be opened we can find the correct application to open them.

There are two applications that I use. Both are considered to be bloated, but I don't find them all that bad. There are other applications that do the same things, and quite possibly even better. However these two are the ones I use and will stand behind them as for functionality. Rarely do I ever find a video file that K-Lite won't handle, under that possibility, I'd recommend VLC media player. I've not used VLC, but it is a hit with all the other forum members.
  • IrfanView (A photo viewer that supports many different picture formats)
  • K-Lite Codec Pack (codecs for all popular audio and video file formats)
    • Supports playback of: AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, TS, M2TS, WMV, RM, RMVB, OGM, WebM, MP3, FLAC, M4A, AAC, OGG, 3GP, AMR, APE, MKA, Opus, Wavpack, and much more!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My 2 cents about Windows Media Center ...

I use the K-Lite codecs but I don't install the K-Lite media player.

I love VLC for videos and I like the customization I can do with the VLC controls. Then I use Windows Media Player for music. Pictures I'm satisfied with Previewing from Windows Explorer and Editing with Photo Shop

I haven't opened Windows Media Center in probably 6 months; it just takes way to long to open and adds no value for me.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would suggest you right click the attachement and select "save as" This will select your default folder (make a note of this!) and also the attachment in question, for example "mine.doc"

When you have completed this, open the default folder, right click the attachment you have saved. Now scroll down and "open with". You will now see a list of installed programs on your computer, which are applicable to the item. Select the "use this application for all...**" From then on, when you click such an attachment, it will open with that application.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is the extension used on the end of the filename? PDF, JPG, AVI, MP3, WAV, TXT, DOC, XLS, etc... are common extensions.

Once we know what file is needed to be opened we can find the correct application to open them.

There are two applications that I use. Both are considered to be bloated, but I don't find them all that bad. There are other applications that do the same things, and quite possibly even better. However these two are the ones I use and will stand behind them as for functionality. Rarely do I ever find a video file that K-Lite won't handle, under that possibility, I'd recommend VLC media player. I've not used VLC, but it is a hit with all the other forum members.
  • IrfanView (A photo viewer that supports many different picture formats)
  • K-Lite Codec Pack (codecs for all popular audio and video file formats)
    • Supports playback of: AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, TS, M2TS, WMV, RM, RMVB, OGM, WebM, MP3, FLAC, M4A, AAC, OGG, 3GP, AMR, APE, MKA, Opus, Wavpack, and much more!
24Jan14
Clifford,
The extension used on the end of one file name was jpg and the other was pdf. When I click to open the pdf one the Windows Media Center (that I described earlier) flashes up and covers the whole screen. When I click to open the jpg one the heading comes up but it will not open. Those are the usual extensions on attachments I receive. I also receive photos and I do not remember what extension they have.

Most of the attachments I receive are just words but I would also like to get the video ones and ones with photos. (Later my daughter wants me to get on Skype. There is a camera on my computer.)

About the two applications you use and about those you have underlined in blue –

I believe that once I double click on one of those means I am bringing that application on my screen and I would follow the steps it tells me to do and it would be downloaded.

I will wait to hear back from you as to which one I should click on first. If I get one or more of those four downloaded, would they allow me to do the things Windows Media Center listed?

Thanks, Donna Kansas
P.S. Now I am just trying to click on the correct buttons to send my reply to Clifford. I pasted the comments by Trainable in PA and Dave in Denmark on my computer document and thank you all.

Reaction score
The extension used on the end of one file name was jpg and the other was pdf.
I use Adobe Reader for PDF files. PDF is Adobe's format, which is probably why I stay with them. Many others think Adobe is bloated and prefer third party applications such as Foxit Reader.

The JPG file though should also be a supported format with MS Paint. MS Paint is part of all Windows versions dating back a decade. You should be able to open the file with Paint, without the need for an additional download. JPG has been a standard image format throughout the live of Windows XP. Unless the file is corrupt, I'm not sure why you are having issues opening the image.

Reaction score
Clifford,

Now I have downloaded Adobe Reader for PDF files.

Paint is on the list of things on my cmptr. When I click on it, it comes up Untitled – Paint.

How do I “open the file with Paint, …” or put another way - When I open a JPG file on my email how do I get it over to MS Paint? This will be my last question to you as I am getting to be a burden.

Dave in Denmark said to “save as” the attachment and to select my default folder, but ‘save as’ opened my Removable Disk E and gave it a name so I clicked on Save As and it went back to the email/attachment and asked if I wanted to Open or Save or Save As. Since I had already clicked on Save As I told it to Open and so I clicked that and it brought up that stupid Windows Media Center.

Trainable in PA wrote about K Lite codecs and Clifford too said the K-Lite Codec Pack (codecs for all popular audio and video file formats) so I will try to download it.
If I am following this correctly, Trainable and Clifford both recommended VLC media player.
So I will try to download K Lite codecs and VLC media player.

Thank you all for your help. This should be the last time I bother anyone in the Windows 7 Forum with this area of questioning because you all are so much more advanced than I am! I want to take advantage of/learn about the media stuff but it is the least of my concerns. Researching and writing/typing papers is where I spend most of my time. I need to learn several more things about Windows 7 in order to be proficient in my work.

By the way, now that I am getting ready to send you my reply I see two sections about Windows 7: HP is selling preinstalled with Win 7 again and Win 7 to replace Win 8. When my old laptop crashed my Grandson told me not to get a Win 8 because people did not like Win 8 and that Win 8 would not be around long. He was right. He found this Win 7 for me.

Donna little ‘ole lady in Kansas

Reaction score
How do I “open the file with Paint, …” or put another way - When I open a JPG file on my email how do I get it over to MS Paint? This will be my last question to you as I am getting to be a burden.

Dave in Denmark said to “save as” the attachment and to select my default folder, but ‘save as’ opened my Removable Disk E and gave it a name so I clicked on Save As and it went back to the email/attachment and asked if I wanted to Open or Save or Save As. Since I had already clicked on Save As I told it to Open and so I clicked that and it brought up that stupid Windows Media Center.
When you save a file to a specific location, you will be able to find that file using a different application. All you need to do is look for the file at the same location using the application you want to open the file. Basically you save the attachment with your mail app, and then use paint to open the file by navigating to the location where the file was stored.

There should be more options available than Removable Disk E, for destination locations.

This in my opinion is where Microsoft has failed in teaching people how to manage their own files. Microsoft has played the user friendly game so long, hardly anyone knows how to manage their data. It is not the users fault, it is Microsoft's fault for trying to manage the user's data for them.

By the way, you are not a burden! :) I come here to help people because I love doing so. It is the people that ask questions, and then negatively respond to the answers that are a burden. I only hope my answers are not confusing and misleading. If you have any questions, no matter how trivial, don't be afraid to ask. That is our position as forum members to help, no matter what the question may be. After all if we didn't want to help, we wouldn't be here.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Dave in Denmark said to “save as” the attachment and to select my default folder, but ‘save as’ opened my Removable Disk E and gave it a name so I clicked on Save As and it went"

Sorry, I should have explained that it is not necessary to accept that folder. From that dialogue, you can select any chosen folder you wish.

What action did you take after you were returned to the Attachment.? As I said, you should then go to the folder where you Saved, to complete the process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford, (Trainable & Dave)

Very generous of you to help people no matter their level of expertise. I appreciate your time and your instructions were quite explanatory. Thanks a lot.

I must have done something right that you told me because today I did access an attachment w/a video and sound! I got all hung up with not being able to access my email attachments and I believe I should have been taking some of the basic “get acquainted” w/Win 7 free tutorials first. So I am going to spend time doing that.

Thanks to all who helped me. I have saved all your responses as well as Trainable’s and Dave’s so I can holler for help if needed later. To Dave I say I am sorry I cannot remember what action I took after I was returned to the Attachment but next I will go to the folder where I Saved.

As soon as I send this response I am going to click on the blue “here” to mark this thread as solved.

Donna Kansas

Ask a Question