Put a password on a memory stick

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to secure data on the stick, but almost all of them would require some 3rd party software.

If you don't require anything more than basic password protection, you could create a passworded zip file and use that. Recent versions of windows have native support for this, so it would be easy to do :).

If you want something much more secure then take a look at True Crypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) - it's a really good (free!) application which would suit this purpose.

Reaction score
hmmm i kinda thought there would be 3rd party software to do it but i just wondered if there was a windows own option, bit silly there isn't really

Reaction score
I just decided to use truecrypt its the easy to use, i just encrypted the stick =)

Reaction score
wait i thought it was going to put a password on it but it hasn't im not too sure what exactly it has done but i cant find out how in the user guide and i cba to trawl through it ... all i really wanna do is put a password on a word document

Reaction score
okay i have found another forum thread advising me to use truecrypt again ¬_¬ but as it doesn't seem to come up with a box you need to enter a password into, the thread also says "why not just password protect individual folders in the usual way" can someone tell me what this "usual way" is?

i have tried truecrypt a few times and i dunno why it aint working =/

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
... all i really wanna do is put a password on a word document
That is really simple...depending on which office version you have, it should go like that:

File > save as > tools > security options

then type a password to open the file.

Let me know how you do...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you have Ultimate, as your specs says, you can use BitLocker encryption on the drive. Also on your backup drive(s) as well.

That's the main advantage of having Ultimate, except for the language packs.

Type in "BitLocker" into the Start Menu, it'll walk you through. Be sure to print your key, it's a long string of numbers, too long to remember. It's not to be confused with the password you create to turn BitLocker encryption on and off.

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TrueCrypt is a much better encryption program compared to BitLocker, and it's free also.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

T r u e C r y p t

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Main Features:

What is new in TrueCrypt 7.0a

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you tell how 'it worked', in case someone else encounters a similar issue.
in word when i start up the file, a little box requesting the password that i specified comes up, and you cannot see the content of the file until you enter the correct password.

hope this helps =]

Ask a Question