Programs Not Responsing ( Windows 7 prof)

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the past week my desktop has been very slow to start-up and often after logging in the applications ( IE10, Outlook etc.) will not start up. Sometimes outlook 2010 seem to get stuck on 'Loading Profile'. I have tried running repairing MS Office 2010 but this has not fixed the problem. If a application launch fails and I try CTRL ALT DEL to start task manager I get a error and task manager fails to start.

It seems that if I login on the computer then leave it for about 10min application launch is not an issue

Should I :

1. Re-install MS Office 2010
2. Do a clean install of Windows 7 and all applications
3. Something else

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
#1 Scan for a virus from SAFE MODE as explained here:

Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

#2 Download and install CCleaner (freeware). Be sure to read my post in that thread about my recommendations of items to make sure are NOT checked. Run the Cleaner and the Registry functions of CCleaner, then reboot.

#3 Run MSCONFIG.EXE and go to the Startup Tab. Se if there are any programs in the startup list that you do not need (when in doubt leave it checked). Things like Google Update, Flash Update, Java Update, Adobe Update can be unchecked.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
2. Do a clean install of Windows 7 and all applications
That would be your absolute "last-resort" option to use when everything else has been tried, but failed. Reinstalling results in your system being months, if not years behind in security updates, all your data and downloaded programs will lost, and you don't learn what caused the problem so you never learn how to prevent recurrence. And finally, reinstalling often does not fix the problem.

In addition (and after) TMs suggestion you might check out, Troubleshoot Task Manager Problems.

Reaction score
TM,

Again, thanks for your advice; I went through the process and there were no issues found via TDSSKiller, RKill or CCleaner (there were a couple of registry entries not required). I have stopped a couple of programmes via MSCONFIG. A full scan using Kaspersky found no viruses.

It seems there has been no improvement. There is still some process running for long time after I login that will not allow any other application to be started. I use Ethernet to connect to my ADSL router and that can take some tome to establish a internet connection; I know the router is OK. After 5 - 10 minutes minutes I can start applications ( IE, Outlook, Task Manager ect)....

PS : I run Kaspersky Internet Security

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you identify exactly what tasks are running for a long time?

Generally if your system worked fine for a long time and then "suddenly" doesn't it is caused by new hardware or software (including a virus or new anti-virus or new drivers). Since you ruled out a virus, what else could have changed?

Do you use a large hosts file to block ad websites, etc?

I have a very low power HTPC in my living room which takes a few minutes to start-up windows and then another minute or so to open video files. What are the specs of your computer, maybe it is just underpowered for your needs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Until the task has started up I cannot start any application to see what tasks are running. I don't use any hosts file which will be my next investigation with my ISP.

The computer is i5 CPU 3.2Ghz with 4Gb ram running Windows 7 64 bit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The HOSTS file is maintained on your local machine and wouldn't be controlled by your ISP. The reason I ask is because very huge HOSTS files like the one I have can slow down the DNS refresh if it isn't optimized and had duplicates removed; this obviously isn't the problem with your machine.

Ask a Question