Programs not loading or taking hours.

Reaction score
I have a few issues going on with 7.. mainly right now several programs do not want to open randomly.. Sometimes it's Firefox, sometimes Paintshop Pro, sometimes both, etc.. sometimes they work fine. the error is "there was a problem sending the command to the program", "Remote procedure call failed". I do NOT have zonealarm installed, and this was not an upgrade OS install. Doing a full reboot will solve the problem sometimes for awhile.

Another issue is that I have not been able to do a reboot with it hanging after the logoff screen.. I'm not sure if it is related but one or two of my drives keep crashing or losing power (it might be the IDE card though?) that issue is still being investigated.

Sometimes instead of getting the "there was a problem sending the command to the program" error, the program(s) just do not open. I can see that they were started, but with a low ram usage, and it stays the same like always at 2mb or whatever.. if I open another instance, it will do the same.. to make it work I have to do a restart.. however sometimes if I do not do anything, the program will eventually open.... eventually being about 5 hours later randomly out of the blue.

The system totally hanged. I can able to move the mouse cursor and can able to refresh. But can't able to start any application. Nothing opening when i click the application, but its running in task manager processes. But i can do all in safe mode. Anyone please suggest the solution soon. Its really frustrating..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi. We should be able to get to the bottom of this.

Many times, antivirus is responsible for the types of issues you're speaking of. For troubleshooting reasons, it would be best to uninstall whichever antivirus you are currently using with the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

You can install MSE as a replacement that does not ever cause any issues such as what you describe or bsods.

If the above doesn't help you, then please type msinfo32 in the start menu. Hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Then zip or rar the saved file and attach the compressed file to a post using the paperclip above where you type.

Using this info, I will probably have many suggestions.

Reaction score
Hi..

Thanks for your reply.. Then, I don't have any anti virus installed in my system, since it is a new one and i did partition and installation works two days back. And changed SATA mode for dual boot(ATA for XP and AHCI for 7 since i faced blue screen error). And did Oracle application express installation. It was opening via IE after i added its url in trusted sites list. While i was working on it, i started to face this problem. Now its totally hanged. Not able to do any in normal mode. Anyways I will do what you said today..

Reaction score
You're welcome.

You can also post the bsod crash dump, which would be extremely helpful.

Here's how:

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html

I would download and install Malwarebytes, then let it scan the system since you don't have antivirus. Sometimes under certain conditions, it only takes mere seconds to be infected with something upon connecting to the net.

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. Then i will take the BSOD crash dumb today and post it here tomorrow. Then ok.. I am downloading Malwarebytes now. I will do a complete check with that. But the problem is how do i install the software. Since its not able to run any application. How to? Is there any option to install other than going in normal mode. Can i do this installation in safe mode?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you can use Safe Mode + Networking to download, install, run, update definitions within the program, then scan.

Reaction score
Thank you so much.. I went through it and did a SFC Scan, But result shown that there is no integrity violations. Then I don't have net connection with me in my home. So i can't do downloads and all. Sorry for that. Now i am talking from my office. Then, i formatted that C drive where i have windows 7, it worked now. But the boot options in the start up disabled, so i am not able to go to D drive where i have XP. Then formatted it using windows XP disc. Now going in to XP not to 7. How to have that options.? After that i installed one software named Easy BCD to add that boot entries in start up. Then i got that options in start up, but when i enter that other one, its showing an error message that NTLDR file missing or corrupt. What to do? Any idea?

Reaction score
You have to edit boot.ini which is part of the XP install to load XP each time it boots.

It currently is trying to load a wrong partition, thinking XP is there when it is not.
If you post the boot.ini after raring it, I can edit it for you to possible successful ones to try and replace with.

As far as not being able to access XP from Windows 7. You can. All you need to do is assign the drive (or partition) a letter in Windows 7 Disk Management screen by right clicking on it.

...but I understand that you can not get into 7 currently.

To do so, please run a startup repair from the Windows 7 DVD. Here's how:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

(After you fix 7, I'll help you dual boot into XP also.)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot lot.. I did the repair using windows 7. It started to work.. Didn't edit boot.ini and all. Instead of that, i added that entry in Easy BCD software. Now its working well. Thank you.. I appreciate your job.. I have only one problem now. If i leave the system for long time, it goes to screen saver stage, then its not returning to normal stage even after i click all the buttons.. Like that, cursor moving automatically to some other places in display. I thought that it would be a touch pad problem. But its only in XP, not in windows 7. Any idea?

Ask a Question