Problems with 32bit apps on 64bit OS

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 8gb of RAM. I have googled this problem every way I can think of but can't find anything similar.

When I start 32-bit apps they frequently start the process but never actually start the application. This has happened with Communicator 2007 R2, vmware workstation, adobe acrobat. Also, when I install iTunes 64 bit version, its installing in Program Files (x86) rather than Program Files, and I will experience the same problem when running iTunes.

I had the same problem while running Vista 64 bit.

I do run several applications at once. But I've had the problem immediately on startup before opening other programs.

Has anyone seen this or have an idea about what is causing it?

Processor is Intel core 2 duo core E8500 3.16GZ

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm running a 32 bit version right now, plan to update to 64 bit when i get a little more money, but from what i found there is not a lot of support for the 64 versions right now. Also i would check the forums on those website has well, also check the download version that you have downloaded and make sure that it is Windows7 64bit or Vista 64bit download version that you need, because from what i know you need the 64 bit version if your running 64bit OS but i'm not all that tech savvy, would also check to see if have a patch for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm curious if you are installing applications with UAC turned on. UAC will cause problems if the applications are not designed to use UAC functions. If it is a installer problem you could try turning UAC off and reboot for the settings to take effect. Install the applications then turn UAC back on and reboot.
Configure Windows 7 UAC

If the applications are not designed for Windows 7. Running the applications in a Compatibility Mode may help.
Application Compatibility Mode

Windows 7 64-Bit will run both 32-Bit and 64-Bit applications. It's the hardware that need to be 64-Bit specific. 32-Bit drivers will not work on a 64-Bit operating system.
Windows 7: 64 bit vs 32 bit?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response

I had tried various compatibility modes. I don't have UAC on now but may have had it on a minimal setting when I installed the applications. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling without it.

Reaction score
Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed or a Xonar DX sound card?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Just for your info, I installed iTunes (64 bit version) on my 64 bit W7 and it creates a directory in the Program Files folder AND the Program Files (x86) Folder and it works perfectly for me (I guess some parts of the program are not fully 64 bit compatable)

Reaction score
itunes, etc

You're right about itunes, what threw me was that the exe is in the 32 bit folder but i checked on my home system and it's the same. If you check processes, there's a *32 after itunes.exe indicating it's a 32 bit app, though the 64 bit is installed. Only a few dll files are in the 64 bit folder.

I don't have Microsoft Essentials installed or a Xonar sound card.

I did try uninstalling/reinstalling Communicator with UAC off but had the same problem the first few times I tried to launch it, process was running but no app. I had also disabled virus protection (symantec endpoint 11).

Reaction score
I have windows 32 bit installed and can not install 55% of my Design software, worth $$$$$$$$$$$, and alway have to return to XP to complete design projects

XP is here to stay, for MANY years * quote* *unquote*

Reaction score
I'm running win 7 64 bit now, but i can't run turbo pascal in here. could someone help me find how to make Turbo pascal run for win 7 64 bit? thank's

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed or a Xonar DX sound card?
Okay, can I ask why you asked this? I'm simply curious since I have both installed myself... ;)

Ask a Question