Problems installing

Reaction score
I recently purchased windows 7 professional (64 bit) and when i put the disk in and attempted to run the set up i recieved this message

"This installation disk isn't compatible with your version of windows. To upgrade you need the correct installation disk. For more information check your computers system information. To install a new copy of windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disk, and then select custom (advanced)"

My computer is a year old dell inspiron 1525 laptop with an intel(R) core (TM) 2 duo cpu T5550 @i.83GHz. It has 3GB of ram and currently has a 32 bit opperating system. I am currently running on windows vita home premium.

Do i need to exchance my 64 bit disk for a 32 bit disk or is it possible to install the 64 bit? If someone could explain to me how to boot the computer using the installation disk (if you think my system can handle it) it would be greatly appreciated.

Very sorry for the long message. Please help.

Sam

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You're trying to install a 64 bit system from the 32 bit. You can't do that.

Go to the laptop's BIOS and set the DVD drive to be the 1st Boot Device, the hard drive as the 2nd boot device. Put in the installation disk.

Reboot the computer and the screen will say: Press any key to boot from disk drive. Do that and then the install should go fine. You'll have to delete all partitions and then create and format new partitions.

Make sure you have all the 64 bit drivers downloaded and stored on a flash drive or CD-RW disk before the install.

Reaction score
Ok thats great thanks.

One more question. What exactly do you mean by partitions?

Reaction score
Just to make sure i do this right how do you get into the bios and how do i set the dvd drive as the first boot device?

Reaction score
Never mind i think iv got it. If anyone is reading this and has had the same problem when the computer starts up press and hold f2 after the dell logo appears. This brings you to a blue screen (i assume this is the BIOS) and fron there it is pretty well explained by the program.

Thank you to Nibiru2012 for your help it is much appreciated.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Never mind i think iv got it. If anyone is reading this and has had the same problem when the computer starts up press and hold f2 after the dell logo appears. This brings you to a blue screen (i assume this is the BIOS) and fron there it is pretty well explained by the program.

Thank you to Nibiru2012 for your help it is much appreciated.
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, was watching a DVD on the computer.

BUT, you figured it out! That's the important thing. You persevered and got to exactly where you needed to be. Feels good, doesn't it? Yes, the blue screens with white script is the BIOS section.

I assume you figured out the partitions bit, right?

Let us know how it goes, Okay? Sometimes we never hear back from posters on how things go and we wonder if all is well.

Oh, Welcome to The Windows 7 Forum website. :ciao:

Last edited:

Ask a Question