problems installing win 7 on a win 8 machine

Reaction score
trying to do a clean install on a new laptop that came with win 8. It freezes after the first restart when expanding files. The screen is just black and blank. I flashed the bios to a win7 version for this comp, no change. Im thinking maybe the drivers on the win7 disk arent compatable with the geforce 660m video, I really dont know. I wonder how I would be able to take the drivers for my system from the manufacturers site and make them available to the win 7 install?

any suggestions?

Thanks
Leroy

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all, there was no reason to flash the BIOS to an earlier version. It doesn't matter to the operating system at all. Now some BIOS updates from a few years ago were necessary for a Windows 7 install, but not any longer. Also, no BIOS update is usually OS specific.

How are you doing the install? Did you wipe the hard drive and delete old partitions? Are you doing a "custom" or clean install as Windows 7 calls it?

Are you using a DVD to install or a USB Flash drive?

Reaction score
Yes I tried all of those options, gave up and took it to a computer store worked on it with a tech there for a couple hours, he called in another guy from another branch who thought we must be overlooking something simple, after another hour he gave up and called Asus direct and was informed it is not possible to go back to 7. Never got a good explanitaion why. So I took it back to best buy and they ordered the same laptop online for me that has windows 7 on it already. I don't know why it wouldn't work with the win 8 one but I ran out of time to invest in it. Next day shipping was only 23.00.

Thanks
Leroy

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I have a wild guess...

Could you tell us the exact model of the original laptop? I am wondering if it was an Windows RT / ARM based laptop. I've heard that a few manufacturers were making seemingly identical machines where some models were indistinguishable.

Ask a Question