SOLVED Problems installing from USB

Reaction score
http://icecat.us/en/p/asus/k53e-sx2133v/laptops-K53E-SX2133V-14062763.html http://www.heartlandcomputers.com/seagate-nb-320g-5400rpm-8mb-sata-st9320325as/

Summary of details are:

Dban /autonuke from disc

Formatted USB Fat32

Tried 32 and 64bit versions of Windows 7 Home https://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Tried Ubuntu in the hope id be able to at least get it installed, so I could create a disc rather than use USB, to see if it made any difference. (My only other computer doesnt have a DVD Drive so creating a disc is a problem.)

Used ISO to USB windows tool / Tried Yumi

Changed boot order, restarted, turned off, enabled.

Both versions of windows and unbuntu come up with error messages during installation. Windows says device driver is missing. Ubuntu some generic error, cant remember what it said specifcally. ISO to USB said the 64bit version couldnt be made bootable with bootsect.exe.

Any advice on getting this to work via USB ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might have the computer BIOS set for RAID hard drives, in which case W7 Install does not include the drivers for RAID. Of course if you only have one hard drive there is little reason to be using RAID anyway.

And if the UBUNTU install put GRUB on the hard drive then windows won't be able to use it until GRUB is removed and the bootmbr restored.

There could be other drivers specifically for your computer which the W7 Install would not have, if so then you get them from the manufacturer and provide them when the install says they are missing. Usually it's easiest to download all the drivers for your computer, create a folder on the W7 Install flash drive called MyDrivers and then put them in there, if they are zip files or zip-exes then create subfolders and expand them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ive downloaded all the drivers off the asus website, put them on the USB, USB shows up when i manually select it to search for drivers. Windows finds nothing on it, it wants. (Am i
You might have the computer BIOS set for RAID hard drives, in which case W7 Install does not include the drivers for RAID. Of course if you only have one hard drive there is little reason to be using RAID anyway.

And if the UBUNTU install put GRUB on the hard drive then windows won't be able to use it until GRUB is removed and the bootmbr restored.

There could be other drivers specifically for your computer which the W7 Install would not have, if so then you get them from the manufacturer and provide them when the install says they are missing. Usually it's easiest to download all the drivers for your computer, create a folder on the W7 Install flash drive called MyDrivers and then put them in there, if they are zip files or zip-exes then create subfolders and expand them.
Hey thanks for the reply i appreciate it. Before i saw this message, i downloaded Universal USB Installer, and for some reason it just worked. I lost count of the amount of programs i used, including the Microsoft one loads of times. But this one just worked. Such a relief when the driver message didnt pop up :D . I guess, despite putting the ISO onto, and off, and back onto the USB with every program under the sun multiple times, it was just never a full success and the computer couldnt read it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad you got it working.

That sounds like maybe your flash drive wasn't actually bootable then. If the flash drive isn't bootable then the BIOS just goes on to the next device in the list such as the hard drive and if the hard drive has no OS then it isn't bootable and eventually with nothing left to check it gives an error.

Ask a Question